Speakers on poles

• Members

I recently bought an older set of EV full range cabinets, (can't remember the model) and a pair of Ultimate stands to put them on. Its funny, the guy I bought them from told me that one of them has always sat a little crooked on the stand, but it never seemed to be a problem.

I got the new stands, then tried the speakers on them. Well... one of the sockets is 1 1/2", the other, 1 3/8. I guess he used the smaller size on both. They both fit snug with the right diameter pole end. Jeeze!

This got me to thinking... Should the pole sockets be replaced from time to time? Like... as they get old, will the bottoms of the sockets blow out, sending the pole up into the cabinet? Obviously one of these must have been changed out at one time.

• Members

If it were me I would change the odd size one out to fit tighter for the new stands you got. The pole sockets I would change is maybe the pole sockets on subs since the carry all the weight and I'm sure eventually after heavy gigging they might wear out esp. the shallow type that come with a lot of subs.

• Members

If it were me I would change the odd size one out to fit tighter for the new stands you got. The pole sockets I would change is maybe the pole sockets on subs since the carry all the weight and I'm sure eventually after heavy gigging they might wear out esp. the shallow type that come with a lot of subs.

Well, the stands came with an adaptor to reduce the size to the 1 and 3/8. Seems to work fine. So I use the 1/2" on one, and the 3/8" adaptor on the other.

If I were to switch them out I'd prob get two 1/2"s, so I wouldn't have to use the adaptor on the one cabinet.

But they do seem to work fine like they are now.

• Members

Well, the stands came with an adaptor to reduce the size to the 1 and 3/8. Seems to work fine. So I use the 1/2" on one, and the 3/8" adaptor on the other.

If I were to switch them out I'd prob get two 1/2"s, so I wouldn't have to use the adaptor on the one cabinet.

But they do seem to work fine like they are now.

Well as Mr. Murphy once quoted if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

• Members

I have a pair of tops/subs at work that somebody tried to roll around while on the poles. Snapped the steel (pretty heavy-duty stuff too) in half on the sub side. Don't know what it did to the pole because it disappeared at the same time. The cup was still solid in the wood but completely ripped apart.

This was all before I got there.

• Members

As 1-3/8" (AKA 35mm) seems to have become the industry standard vs the 1-1/2" I'd think the obvious thing to do is to go with that size cups? There seems to be some confusion on this thread as to whether 1-1/2" is smaller than 1-3/8" - I'm pretty sure it's not :lol:. Or maybe I'm confused - are your stands 1-1/2" and came with some weird adapter to narrow them down to 1-3/8" or are they the common 1-3/8" ones that came with the 1-1/2" adapter/sleeve/cups?

• Members

As 1-3/8" (AKA 35mm) seems to have become the industry standard vs the 1-1/2" I'd think the obvious thing to do is to go with that size cups? There seems to be some confusion on this thread as to whether 1-1/2" is smaller than 1-3/8" - I'm pretty sure it's not
:lol:
. Or maybe I'm confused - are your stands 1-1/2" and came with some weird adapter to narrow them down to 1-3/8" or are they the common 1-3/8" ones that came with the 1-1/2" adapter/sleeve/cups?

The stands are 1 and 1/2 inches. there's a sleeve that is inside the pole. You push in two little balls and slide the sleeve up untill it hits the next set of ball holes. Kinda like my canopy poles, I set the Mixer under when I mix out side.

• Members

As 1-3/8" (AKA 35mm) seems to have become the industry standard vs the 1-1/2" I'd think the obvious thing to do is to go with that size cups? There seems to be some confusion on this thread as to whether 1-1/2" is smaller than 1-3/8" - I'm pretty sure it's not
:lol:
. Or maybe I'm confused -

Why hasn't US switched to metric system yet? This gets so confusing... :facepalm:

• Members

Why hasn't US switched to metric system yet? This gets so confusing...
:facepalm:

Ha! were half and half. That's why I have to own two sets of wrenches and an assortment of measuring devises.

A one and a half inch pole is def. too big to fit in a one and three eighths hole. Even with a little hair around it, Ha, ha!

• Members

We standardized a long time ago on 1-1/2". All my stands do either with reversable poles, but I try to keep 1-1/2" throughout the inventory for unifority on a job. I've got probably 40+ speakers that have a pole mount, so I really don't want to fuss with this.

• Members
We standardized a long time ago on 1-1/2". All my stands do either with reversable poles, but I try to keep 1-1/2" throughout the inventory for unifority on a job. I've got probably 40+ speakers that have a pole mount, so I really don't want to fuss with this.

Haven't seen anything new in 1-1/2" in 3-4 years - what's current production that is still 1-1/2"?

• Members

Haven't seen anything new in 1-1/2" in 3-4 years - what's current production that is still 1-1/2"?

Don't know. In my post I said an "older" pair of EV's. Prob weigh 65-70 lbs each.There prob 12-15 years old, maybe older. Noah used them on his ark. They sound pretty good in the right room though .

Archived