Clip lights on my 1604 vlz

• Members

I'm starting to mic drums and trying to get the hang of it in the garage before i take it live. But anyways.

Before I do anything I always level check the mic using the vlz's level set procedure so it's not to "hot". I really dont know how to explain it i just know that when I set it i make sure its around "0".

Anyways as i bring the kick mic level up to a level i think is good i see the red clip light on that channel blink when the kick is hit. My amp's are not clipping or even near there.

Should I just set my gain structure different? Maybe leave the gain on the channel down and give it its own subgroup? Maybe like "drum subgroup"?

Also, I've read a lot on here about amp clipping and that when the light comes on for most if not all amps it means the amp is 3db's below the max output. So if that light is lighting up on maybe the chorus's or loud parts is that exceptable?

Thanks for you for reading, and possibly helping.

• Members
Before I do anything I always level check the mic using the vlz's level set procedure so it's not to "hot". I really dont know how to explain it i just know that when I set it i make sure its around "0".

Anyways as i bring the kick mic level up to a level i think is good i see the red clip light on that channel blink when the kick is hit.

Y'all gotta read the manual more carefully - you're not following the"level set procedure" correctly. Sounds like you are turning up the channel level instead of the fader to make the kick louder? You're supposed to set it and not adjust it again.

• Members

you should be able to set the kick drum channels gain so that it will never clip. that mixer has a bit of 'pad' built into the trim. i wonder if you dont have the PFL/AFL button set to AFL?

i mean you really, really gotta have the trim cranked to get it to clip IME. if it is true you are aiming for zero then you should have +28 more to go before clip.

i use a 1604vlz in my band and a mixwiz when i do SR, the mackie is 'ok' when working properly and you should not have any clip issues with a typical kick drum mic.

also, avoid the temptation to double buss or even use those fangled submasters at all.

• Members

Also, I've read a lot on here about amp clipping and that when the light comes on for most if not all amps it means the amp is 3db's below the max output. So if that light is lighting up on maybe the chorus's or loud parts is that exceptable?

I'd say for "most" amps it means that the clip limiters are engaged. As to how far below clipping that is is material dependent.

On your mixer not seeing a clip light fire does not guarantee that you are free of channel clipping ... so be aware.

Archived