Small sub question for small DJ setup

• Members

I occassionally DJ (Oh, the shame ;>) some weddings.

Currently I borrow my bandmate's Yorky U15s in an attempt to avoid dragging out subs and be able to use a single power amp and no crossover. I have pair of Yamaha SM12IVs and a pair of Yorky E210s available. As I've discussed before, the SM12s sound good in small places while the E210s have great mid and high range while being severely lacking in the low end.

1. I'd like to use my own speakers (that have covers).

2. Either pair is much lighter than the U15s (that DON'T have covers).

3. I've split my band amp rack up so the "mains" amp rack is a bit lighter.

4. My subs are Yorkville LS808s (pre wheeled versions), about 120# covered each and are a bit much for me to handle on my own lifting into or out of my trailer.

So my question to you experienced DJs is:

Do you think one of the 15" subs would provide adaquate bass support for either of my speaker pairs? Or give me some alternatives.

I was considering one of the new unpowered Yammy SW15s. My more expensive alternative would be a Yorkville 700 series dual 10" sub. The powered unit is nice and would avoid the crossover/extra amp but one of my major considerations is being able to do all the heavy lifting myself. I'm also trying to keep things sized to fit all in my Ford Expedition and avoid the trailer that's loaded with band gear for storage.

Boomerweps

• Members

LS808 is an 18" sub. I've also have the LS700P (dual 10" subs) and that's a fantastic fairly compact unit. The only completely annoying thing was that the power cord was hard-wired. I don't know if the design has changed so it has one of the IEC connections which allow you to disconnect the power cord.

I've DJ'd a little bit over the years. I think a single sub would be enough for either speaker pair if you're objective is to fill the dance floor with music. If you're objective is to fill the room with music, then you probably would need both.

My bands battle with fuc*tard DJs everytime we play a multi-room banquet facility. We try to control our volume and put the music on the dance floor so the the folks who want to dance can dance, and the folks who want to have a conversation without screaming at the top of their lungs can have a conversation. Meanwhile, the music from the twit DJ in the room next door is blowing everyone away because he/she thinks a wedding or anniversary party means the sound pressure levels should be comparable to a major concert event.

• Members

I've DJ'd a little bit over the years. I think a single sub would be enough for either speaker pair if you're objective is to fill the dance floor with music. If you're objective is to fill the room with music, then you probably would need both.

My bands battle with fuc*tard DJs everytime we play a multi-room banquet facility. We try to control our volume and put the music on the dance floor so the the folks who want to dance can dance, and the folks who want to have a conversation without screaming at the top of their lungs can have a conversation. Meanwhile, the music from the twit DJ in the room next door is blowing everyone away because he/she thinks a wedding or anniversary party means the sound pressure levels should be comparable to a major concert event.

Man oh man, did you hit the nail on the head or what. Well said. :thu:

• Members

Don't believe that you don't need a crossover with Yorkville subs. The thing they call a crossover is NOT. It doesn't roll the highs off to the top boxes and also doesn't really filter much of anything, at least on the LS700P. Without a crossover the LS700P does not sound very good. Way too much 100 - 150 Hz. Properly crossed, they are tight. Getting them to sound good does take away some of the output as your putting the speaker where it sounds best and not necessarily what wants to come out on it's own.

• Members

We've used a pair of these Proels in my small 2-piece band (guitar, bass, drum machine) for over 6 months. Very impressive volume, and nice and accurate and articulate. They have a switchable 110/160hz crossoverm and a line out to the top cabs that is filtered on the low side. (you'd have to send this back to the power for the top cabs if you weren't using an outboard crossover. http://www.proelgroup.com/proel/en/soundreinforcement/product.jsp?id_prod=12034433024230&id_scat=11625505415560&id_cat=12028306775790 B-Team Music sells them for $449 each shipped.

• Members

LS808 is an 18" sub. ...

...I've DJ'd a little bit over the years. I think a single sub would be enough for either speaker pair if you're objective is to fill the dance floor with music. If you're objective is to fill the room with music, then you probably would need both.

This I know. The LS808s are too big and too heavy to deal with by my lonesome AND up into my Expedition. Hence the single 15" sub question. I am only looking at wedding type DJing, NOT rave or drums & bass music type. Last Saturday I was asked to turn it UP several times. I was in a bass trapping corner and I did not walk out front front every song.

Hell, maybe I should just build my own ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

A single LS700P would probably work just fine to add that missing thump in your sound. It hits pretty hard considering its small footprint and is manageable by one person if you carry it the right way. It only accept 1/4'' though and the variable low pass filter is not the equivalent of a real crossover. Would anyone notice? Not likely...;)

The LS720P is a better sounding sub BUT does not quite have the output capability of the 700P.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

This I know. The LS808s are too big and too heavy to deal with by my lonesome AND up into my Expedition. Hence the single 15" sub question. I am only looking at wedding type DJing, NOT rave or drums & bass music type. Last Saturday I was asked to turn it UP several times. I was in a bass trapping corner and I did not walk out front front every song.

Sorry...misread your post. I thought you were asking if one of your LS808s would do the trick, and thus I thought you stated your LS808s were 15" subs.

I have a pair of these and they do the job quite well....

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/RCF-ART-705-AS-Powered-15-Subwoofer-p/art705-as.htm

They're almost 50 lbs. lighter than my old LS800s. They don't put out as much or go quite as low, but I'm happy w/ them.

• Members

The only completely annoying thing to me is that the power cords are not hard-wired

Why would you want hard wired power cables? It's taken the industry years to get rid of them!!!

Either an IEC "keeper" or powercons are 2 possible solutions...

• Members
Why would you want hard wired power cables? It's taken the industry years to get rid of them!!!

speaking of that, I have three PLX3002s and two have separate power cables and one has a hardwired one. Just a difference in manufacture date?

• Members

I've been looking for the same thing, but not only want it for small gigs but also to use for the drum monitor setup. Has anyone had the chance to try out QSC's K sub? I use the HPR122i's as monitors and it looks like if secured it would make a nice "Stack" for the drum monitor. At about $1100 it's within my price range. I've only heard one opinion on their performance, and it was quite positive. My concern is that the opinion is being colored by the fact that they seem to be the "flavor of the month."

• Members

There never seems to be enough time and when you're in a rush it's one less thing to find

• Members

If you are running the U15s or your E210s without the appropriate processing, both will lack bass. If you do have the Yorkville processor, it will boost the low response and also provides a crossover that you can use with the subs. Considering that you want to lighten the load, I'd recommend the LS720P / NX720S. For smaller gigs they would add some bump to the bottom end, while for larger gigs you still have your LS808s to use.

If you want to stick with a passive sub, some Growlers or TH-Minis would deliver good performance in a compact package.

You definitely want the processing on your tops whether running full range or with subs.

• Members

If you are running the U15s or your E210s without the appropriate processing, both will lack bass. If you do have the Yorkville processor, it will boost the low response and also provides a crossover that you can use with the subs. Considering that you want to lighten the load, I'd recommend the LS720P / NX720S. For smaller gigs they would add some bump to the bottom end, while for larger gigs you still have your LS808s to use.

If you want to stick with a passive sub, some Growlers or TH-Minis would deliver good performance in a compact package.

You definitely want the processing on your tops whether running full range or with subs.

Thanks for the advise, Mike.

I do use a DRPA when using the U15s & LS808s with the band, but no processing for any speakers DJing, not even an analog EQ. The DJing is a rare job and not worth sinking a lot of cash into. Definately not worth TH-minis, Yorky powered sub, or even Growler costs new. IF I add a sub as I am considering, I'll drag the band FOH amp rack with DRPA along. I do have it preset for all the variations of using my available speakers in it.

Actually, I've really started to think that other than the Loudspeaker Plus unit, it would be worthwhile to build a couple single 15" subs.

Boomerweps

Archived