tanglewood tw 12

Pontins

• Members

Hi all

Come across one of these it's about 18 years old ,just wondering if anyone got any information on one as done google search and nothing really comes up .

tia cheers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

• Members

Tanglewood is a UK company that started out in the late 1980's with guitars designed in the UK and made in Korea. Their earlier models are excellent instruments of high quality both of materials and craftmanship and often put many "famous name" guitars to shame.

I think the TW12 was a quite early model. You can date it from the serial number. The first two numbers are the year: 95 = 1995 etc, and the second two are the month: 05 = May, etc.; the other numbers are the build sequence.

It will certainly have a solid top and it may well be all solid. Nice find - enjoy.

• Moderators

apparently your google< my google😉

https://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/     "If you can’t find your model listed go to our FAQ page and send a request via “Identify my Tanglewood” and we will get back to you with the details."

http://tanglewoodguitars.com/   [USA]

Okay, so these are essentially Asian made 'Martin-wannabes', based on the head stock appearance. Nothing wrong with that. I have had some made..still have one from my 'importer/wannabe guitar mogul' days.  Since this is a used guitar, condition is important, and from the Fb pics, it looks okay. £150? That's about $200 [US], and with a case? Probably a good deal...but without hearing it/playing it? Hard to say.

• Members
10 minutes ago, daddymack said:

Okay, so these are essentially Asian made 'Martin-wannabes', based on the head stock appearance. Nothing wrong with that. I have had some made..still have one from my 'importer/wannabe guitar mogul' days.  Since this is a used guitar, condition is important, and from the Fb pics, it looks okay. £150? That's about $200 [US], and with a case? Probably a good deal...but without hearing it/playing it? Hard to say.

Their earlier models are as good as any Martin I've played.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, garthman said:

Their earlier models are as good as any Martin I've played.

I don't dispute that.

As I said, I have imported guitars from Asia, and some were outstanding. I still have one a/e and one hollowbody jazz guitar from my attempt. I sold the rest...my former partner still has a couple too.

But that said...

My concern is the guitar's current condition. If it is over 15 years old, has it been properly 'stored'? Is it dried out? Is the neck okay? Is the bridge still properly attached to the body? I can't tell any of that from the pics on Fb.

The owner in the Fb ad obviously knows NOTHING about the 'care and feeding' [let alone playing] of an acoustic guitar, therefor I would be somewhat concerned.

😎

• Members
On 1/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, daddymack said:

Okay, so these are essentially Asian made 'Martin-wannabes', based on the head stock appearance. Nothing wrong with that. I have had some made..still have one from my 'importer/wannabe guitar mogul' days.

There are only so many shapes a headstock can have and still be remotely attractive. Lots of guitars with the Martin shape are very good in their own right.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:09 AM, Pontins said:

Thank you everybody

As i've only just started out in the last year learning and trying to upgrade from my yamaha, what should i be looking for on it before i/if purchase it 

Again thanks for your help

Look it over carefully. Are there noticeable gaps where the heel attaches to the body or at the edge of the bridge? Is the bridge itself sitting at an angle? How much saddle is sticking out of the bridge? Does the top appear to be sunken? Does the guitar just generally look like it's been mistreated? Run your fingers along the edge of the fretboard. Are the fret ends sharp? Lay a straightedge along the frets and extend it to the bridge. It should hit the top of the bridge. Look inside the body. Do you see loose bracing? Does anything rattle when you strum a chord? Some stuff like sharp fret ends or a sunken top indicate the wood us dried out and needs TLC. Other stuff like gaps or minimal saddle signifies structural issues. Since you're new to this, I personally wouldn't recommend something that needs attention.

• Moderators
On 1/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, Pontins said:

Thank you everybody

As i've only just started out in the last year learning and trying to upgrade from my yamaha, what should i be looking for on it before i/if purchase it 

Again thanks for your help

I strongly suggest you take someone with you who is far more experienced in determining the condition, quality and playability of the instrument. If that is not possible, see if you can get the current owner to agree to having the guitar checked out by a local shop.

• Members

Thank you all ,have taken on board all your advice so will get something sorted when I go to look at it .

What a friendly group,  posted the same questions on another acoustic group got nothing back , so again thank you