Use house system or my own

• Members

I have limited experience in providing sound, and one of the groups that I have worked for in the past is performing a benefit concert. They have asked me to work sound for them with the understanding that no one is getting paid. I'm OK with that since it's a small job and for a worthy cause.

Here's my question; the venue has a relatively new house system that also incorporates video for when they need it. I have been told that I am welcome to use their system if I want to. I checked it out today and it is far more complex then I will need, and I suspect that even they will seldom use it to its fullest capabilities. The one thing they do not have is a mixing console. In order for me to use their system I could take the "line out" from my board and patch it to the "line in" on their amp. This would use their amp and their speakers (surround sound, front, side , and rear). Their set-up also includes a DVD recorder and a separate player, a CD player, a crossover unit, and a Pioneer Home Theater amp. I put a CD in and played with the system and it sounds OK, but seems to lack that "live" sound that I always associate with a live performance. I realize that some of that is due to the use of a CD, but I can still get what I consider to be a really good sound when I use a CD in my system.

At a minimum I will be providing the mic's, the stands, the snake, and my mixer. I am beginning to think that I would be better off my just using my amp and my speakers, rather than getting into the situation where I may have technical problems (insert pilot error) with their system. This is a public venue and will not be available to set-up until two hours before the show. After set-up that only leaves a short time for a sound check.

Of course, I am trying to save myself as much work as possible, but I also want it to go well. I think their system was designed more for presentations than for music performance, and I am leaning toward just using all my own gear; what do you think?

Thanks for your comments,

JR

• Members

I had not thought about damaging their gear, but that is a good point. Actually, the act of just posting my question sort of answered it for me. The extra gear that I need to take is not much and this will avoid the whole unknown factor of their system.

Thanks, JR

• Members

And even if you don't blow something up, down the road you could be blamed for whatever might go wrong with their gear because "it worked fine before that sound guy hooked up his system".

Stay away from their stuff. Don't even use the same AC (eg. the power in the DJ.... booth) if there is suitable power elsewhere.

I've been in bands that were blamed for the craziest things, so try to CYA.

• Members

its funny cause i see the OP in the near future posting one of those "I had the worst experience" posts we see so often in this forum.

All you have to do is read the threads people started for just the last two weeks to get an idea of the headache this will cost you. lol.

So take alex's advice and donate to red cross or a homeless man on the street, it will give you less back ache and pain.

Archived