New Mixer on the way. Soundcraft Compact 4

• Members

Just bought a neat little 4-channel mixer from Soundcraft, the Compact 4. Should be fun to use when travelling light, acoustic solo/duo stuff. Has built-in D.I., 48v phantom power, 3-band EQ's, and Class A mic pre's, dual headphone outs(artist/engineer). Zero-latency monitoring, when recording to computer. Balanced and unbalanced record/playback connections.

Images;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/Compact4--Main

Soundceaft product info;

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=121

This product is now discontinued, but still available if you shop around. I paid $99. U.S./free shipping.

• Members

Well, my mixer just arrived. :) I can't believe how quick the vendor was at shipping it out, and getting it here. Site said the vendor has 5 days to ship item out, and I received it 1 business day after the order gets processed. I took "standard shipping", which I expected would be thru Canada Post, but they sent it Purolator. This Ebay.ca vendor will get top marks from me. :thu:

http://shop.ebay.ca/escretail/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I don't have time available today to check it out, so I'll get back to that, perhaps tomorrow. Initial impression,,,, looks like it's built like a tank. It's a little larger than what I'd like, but apparently this unit has pretty good pre's and overall sound quality, according to the reviews I've read.

I was looking for something "compact", but with the emphasis on good sound-quality, that I could throw into a pocket of my acoustic amplifiers' gig-bag (AER Compact 60/2). It looks a little too big for that, so I'll probably buy a small Gator mixer bag for it.

There are smaller mixers out there, with more bells and whistles, but I was not impressed by what I was reading in the reviews. (noisy pots, etc). Hopefully, this little Soundcraft board will live up to the reviews.

Bob

• Members

I was just going by what I read in one of the reviews. Actually, I believe they were referring to the switch on the channel 2 , which changes the input to a Hi-Z input. The jacks are combo XLR/1/4" on channels 1&2. Channel 1 also has a Hi-Pass filter, and phantom power is available on channels 1&2.

I really haven't had time to try the unit yet, and today is impossible as well, but hopefully by Saturday I'll have a chance to do so. I got home late last night, but had a chance to look at the manual. Beautiful manual, 48 pages, and all on glossy paper, with all the info found on Soundcrafts' website.

I managed to pick-up a Gator G-Mix 12x12 bag for it yesterday. The mixer apparently has removable side-panels. I'll measure it with the side-panels removed, to see if it'll fit into a pocket of my AER amp's gig-bag.

There are no built-in FX, but I have an older Microverb II, and my AER combo also has FX.

I'm hoping I can find a way of using this little mixer, along with my acoustic amp as a personal monitor, and one NX55p for FOH, and have it all running off a deep-cycle battery with an inverter. 2 vox, 1 acoustoc guitar. When I need more inputs, I have a Soundcraft EFX8, which is also a fairly compact unit.

Archived