Jazz group needs PA - recos?

• Members

Guitar, horn, vocalist, standup bass. All using different amps. Doesn't work well and we don't always hear each other clearly. Think we need a mixer, 2 speakers, 2 monitors for audiences from 20 to 100. Any thoughts on what would work and what our cost would be. Is my assumption of 4 speakers and a mixer correct? Powered speakers or not?

David

• Members

I have played a fair bit of jazz over the years (and practically everything else).

When I'm in a trio with me on guitar, sax, and string bass, the bass player and I have a tiny amp each (Blues Jr. or smaller and an small Eden...) and the sax is unamplified (and still usually too loud). When we add a singer we mic the sax a little, and of course the singer.

We generally use a small Yorkville M8 powered mixer (but there's Peavey, Yamaha...). Two small 10" or 12" passive speakers on stands slightly behind you (as mains and monitors). If you're really playing light jazz volume that's all you should need - unless these are concert or outdoor settings.

I'm wondering why you're having trouble blending as a jazz group. Maybe this is a Weather Report tribute band without the keys?

Anyway, Good Luck.

• Members

Here's a system that's local to me, http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/1421391474.html that's almost identical to a system that was used by a fellow who had a house gig in a hotel lounge. People would often dance there on the week-ends. He had the gig for five years. BTW without giving out his name he's a Juno Award winner (Canada's Grammy's).

I also know another fellow who plays all the best lounges in town, and who also tours in France.... He also uses the same speakers (Yorkville M160's) and a very similar mixer to the one posted.

The M160's are all RCF components and are one of the nicer sounding 10", even to this day (yea, they're ancient).

My point is that there must be deals in your area similar to this one, older EV, Peavey... that would suit your needs very well.

Again, unless this PA is going to do double duty as a bar band PA, I don't think you need to get super duper mains and monitors, just learn how to blend with each other. How loud can you play All of Me, or Blue Bossa?

Maybe if it's really necessary you could get one very small powered monitor to go with your mains - hard to say...

Archived