Converting Audio to Midi

• Members

Greetings to everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a computer program that converts Wav, Acid, AAC and mp3 files accurately to midi .

I write all of my songs by playing the parts into my DAW or my Tascam DP-24SD but I'm not very good at using Finale efficiently to write out what I play note for note to publish the sheet music .

Thanks,

SonicFX1 

• Members

Apparently the D.A.W. (Digital Audio Workstation) software "Logic" can extract MIDI data from audio.  See YouTube for more info, I have no experience doing this... the process is only partly "automatic" as you'll most likely have to "clean up" the MIDI data after it's generated, because pitch-to-MIDI conversion isn't perfect. 

Logic is an Apple product, and will only run on MacIntosh computers and not PCs. 

• Members

There may be other DAWs with that functionality, or perhaps even a plug-in that can perform this function.  Do a web search. Melodyne is a well-known pitch correction software plug in, but it can supposedly extract pitch (and therefore MIDI) data from polyphonic (chords) tracks. 

No doubt the pitch-to-MIDI process works better on individual tracks versus stereo mixes. And if you're laying down tracks with a synthesizer or use a drum machine, it's very easy to record audio and MIDI data simultaneously. 

There's at least one hardware "black box" that converts audio to MIDI, but it's apparently intended to have a monophonic musical instrument as it's input (like a bass or guitar) so the MIDI output can trigger an outboard synthesizer.  

Edited by Mr.Grumpy