Is QSC K-Sub really out of the question.

• Members

I wanted to report on my first experience with the K-12 and K-Sub combination I recently picked up. My band is four piece, wanted to run the bass through the PA and alternates between live and electric drums. We play hard rock and generally small venues. I gave very serious consideration to the JBL PRX series and listened to both repeatedly. I preferred the QSC slightly but really liked the ease of transport.

It was a small and very ambient room. We used the electric drums last night. The crowd was about 75. I will know more after we play for a bigger crowd in a couple of weeks but generally we were quite pleased. Nice thump from the subs and I thought the sound had real clarity. More reports to come.

• Members

I have heard the K sub a couple of times and for what it is it does a good job. If you need chest pounding its not the sub you want. If you want your music to have a real nice low end they are great.

Isnt there a saying pick any two of the three for subs. Small, Low, or Loud. If you want killer punch get a folded horn, Yorkvilles 1204 are really punchy but its big/heavy and barely fits through doors.

Just noticed you are an accoustic act. Go get the QSC k sub you will like it and its about as portable as you can get for a sub.

• Members

We did a test with some borrowed K Subs this weekend. The K Sub is not a bad sub. I have a serious problem with it's size. It is too narrow and the fixed length speaker pole does not allow the tops to get high enough to actually get over the crowds heads. I suppose we could rig something to stabilize them but all things considered I still feel the MRX/PRX 518s are a better sub. The K Sub is heavier then my MRX518s but they have built in casters. That doesn't necessarily make them more portable then the MRXs. I can easily carry an MRX and I can easily roll a K Sub.

The narrowness and perceived in stability of the K Sub is a concern. We play for somewhat rowdy crowds and they can possible bump into our speakers. Doesn't happen all the time but it is a concern. The fact that we could not get our tops up to a good level also makes a difference.

The K Sub does have nice low end and would probably be great for a group that isn't as concerned about the stability of the speakers or the elevation of the tops.

• Members

I too don't like the tall and narrow design of the sub. I heard it at a music store and, for it's size, it's not bad. The footprint though just seems silly. Maybe with the K series 8" or 10" it would be stable enough, but a 12" or 15" speaker, especially a heavier one not from the K Series is just asking for trouble. In theory, a great design for portability and aesthetics. In practice, an accident waiting to happen.

Archived