Calling AgedHorse et. al.

• Members

There is a risk/reward equation that governs reliability in the field. Beyond a certain power level, for the average user, the risk of damage goes up very steeply once you pass ~1.25x the RMS rating of the speaker. This is, of course, not an absolute number. Speakers all carry ratings that reflect the engineer's and marketer's own judgements, some of which make no technical sense whatsoever.

As you get more professional users (that are really pros, not those who just talk the talk), they tend to understand this better and most importantly bring enough equipment to a job to avoid driving the snot out of the PA all the time. They also tend to understand high pass filtering, limiting and crossovers better. The do have their problems, and when they do it's usually quite expensive to fix. That's what happened to my client, they thought they were safe but obviously not, just a lapse of good judgement along with overpowering and poorly set limiters.

It's cheaper to learn from other's mistakes BTW.

• Members

Meh, bad feet and attitudes, and then you've got to also watch guys in tights. Not my idea of a good time, but horses for courses.....

Never understood ballet or modern dance for that matter. None of that looks like much fun? Especially when you factor in the guys in tights.

Ballet=N.

Guys in Tights=N

Watching physically fit women=Y.

Johnny

• Members

Never understood ballet or modern dance for that matter. None of that looks like much fun? Especially when you factor in the guys in tights.

Ballet=N.

Guys in Tights=N

Watching physically fit women=Y.

Johnny

Not to pick on ya, but I bet you don't dance do ya?

Seriously, try dancing (NOT line dancing...please.) - You'll gain appreciation for the physical movement and strength required to do it and you'll look at it differently...not to mention get a heck of a workout, and if your single, lots of attention from the ladies.

T

• Members

Not to pick on ya, but I bet you don't dance do ya?

Seriously, try dancing (NOT line dancing...please.) - You'll gain appreciation for the physical movement and strength required to do it and you'll look at it differently...not to mention get a heck of a workout, and if your single, lots of attention from the ladies.

T

I do appreciate the discipline, strength etc that it takes. But, I just don't dig it. Just like I appreciate what it takes to play classical, jazz etc, just not my thing that's all.

If I was single, I wouldn't choose ballet to get attention from the ladies. Running around on my tippie toes with my arms flailing backwards and jumping in the air like a swan is the last thing I'd do.

As for working out, I work on the 2nd floor and that's all the workout I want. J/K.

Johnny

• Members

Using an analogy, riding horses is often considered a girly thing, but as you move up the food chain you find more athletic guys involved. At the barn I ride at, I am one of 3 guys out of about 40 women. That's about 7%. But when I went out on the road last time, I was one of 6 guys and there were 12 women, or 33%.

Same with ballet, at the low levels, there are more women but as you move up the food chain, it's pretty close to 50%

It's just that ballet is not my thing either.

• Members

Using an analogy, riding horses is often considered a girly thing, but as you move up the food chain you find more athletic guys involved. At the barn I ride at, I am one of 3 guys out of about 40 women. That's about 7%. But when I went out on the road last time, I was one of 6 guys and there were 12 women, or 33%.

Same with ballet, at the low levels, there are more women but as you move up the food chain, it's pretty close to 50%

It's just that ballet is not my thing either.

I couldn't resist responding to this.

My son is 8 years old and takes riding lessons (dressage), and he's the only male at the barn (not including me and some of the horses, but most of them are gelded :)).

Now, riding is my wife's passion, and this was her idea, and my initial knee-jerk reaction was disappointment at him doing something "girly", especially since he refuses my offers to teach him ANYTHING musical...:confused:

But then it dawns on me: Girls love horses, arguably more than they do rock guys... When I was young and working the rock and roll scene, I was trying to get the attention of girls, and competing with every other rock guy doing the same... All my son has to do is show up, and he's surrounded by fit women in tight clothing, all of whom are interested/impressed by his mere presence...:thu:

Don't know where I'm going with this story, but I thought I'd share...

• Members

Possibly, you are going to be a GRANDPA. :poke:

Hopefully not toooo soon. On the other hand, My Son has been married for 6 years and there are no children. At this point of my life, grandchildren, even the arrive early kind would have been nice.

• Members
I couldn't resist responding to this.

My son is 8 years old and takes riding lessons (dressage), and he's the only male at the barn (not including me and some of the horses, but most of them are gelded
:)
).

Now, riding is my wife's passion, and this was her idea, and my initial knee-jerk reaction was disappointment at him doing something "girly", especially since he refuses my offers to teach him ANYTHING musical...
:confused:

But then it dawns on me: Girls love horses, arguably more than they do rock guys... When I was young and working the rock and roll scene, I was trying to get the attention of girls, and competing with every other rock guy doing the same... All my son has to do is show up, and he's surrounded by fit women in tight clothing, all of whom are interested/impressed by his mere presence...
:thu:

Don't know where I'm going with this story, but I thought I'd share...

Bingo!!! and it gets better in high school and college too. Wait until he gets a taste of western riding, whole different group of folks.

Now, if you only had known then what you know now, might you have been interested in horses too? Way easier than the whole rock thing ;)

• Members

There is a risk/reward equation that governs reliability in the field. Beyond a certain power level, for the average user, the risk of damage goes up very steeply once you pass ~1.25x the RMS rating of the speaker. This is, of course, not an absolute number. Speakers all carry ratings that reflect the engineer's and marketer's own judgements, some of which make no technical sense whatsoever.

Which is exactly why if you live and die with printed specs you better learn how to really understand them ... not an easy thing to do.

As you get more professional users (that are really pros, not those who just talk the talk), they tend to understand this better and most importantly bring enough equipment to a job to avoid driving the snot out of the PA all the time. They also tend to understand high pass filtering, limiting and crossovers better. The do have their problems, and when they do it's usually quite expensive to fix. That's what happened to my client, they thought they were safe but obviously not, just a lapse of good judgement along with overpowering and poorly set limiters.

It's cheaper to learn from other's mistakes BTW.

I agree with Andy's points ... it's a risk/reward tradeoff. I think with all things audio, the user must learn BOTH the upper and lower limits of the task they are performing.

Archived