Compact Line Array Suggestions?

• Members

Hello Guys. after forgetting my old sn/pw I rejoined today. :wave:

anyways, I'm looking for a compact/small line array system with Good rig.

I Prefer Weather resistence, should cover upto 1000 people room with hogh spl, It's for church use.

Lighter is always +

and we have everything else, just thinking about replacing our outdated boxes.

So far, I'm looking at EAW JFL, D.A.S and couple others.

Any suggestions?

• Members

the QSC wideline 8 is small and pretty effective too. Nexo is pretty cool. I saw some new EV-A series array boxes that are cool. 16 ohm boxes with advanced passive Xovers that can do all the shading right on the box, runs off one power amp.

• Members

What kind of church service are you do you need covered?

Too bad it has to be weather resistance...

I was going to suggest 3 KF850s on top of 9 SB1000s per side. That will hit some killer loud volumes.

But you could also downsize the rig to 2 KF650 on top of 6 SB1000 and handle plenty of rock bands indoors...

Is this going to be a permanent install? Why don't you bit the bullet and have an install company come in and build a system around your needs and specifics.

• Members

I was going to suggest 3 KF850s on top of 9 SB1000s per side. That will hit some killer loud volumes.

But you could also downsize the rig to 2 KF650 on top of 6 SB1000 and handle plenty of rock bands indoors...

That's hardly compact!!!

;)

• Members

Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, I'm thinking about hiring a contractor to setup the rig, but wanted to get some input/info.

we do music service with video presentations, and speech.

and I'm concerned about video and speech since I want it to be heard clearly.

Also i want plenty of bass for the music too.

I loved the sound of KF series, but that's not practical for us since we will be moving alot, and sometimes have to setup in the parking lot.

Usually, we get like 4~500 people but I just want the possibility of covering upto 1000 people.

And I think Compact Line array will be the right choice for us since it will be easier to reconfigure once we have a set.

Or Am I better off with Cabinets?

• Members

L'Acoustics dV-DOSC, Meyer M'elodie, Ev xlvc, QSC wideline 8's.

All of these have handy, quick rigging and go up and down incredibly fast. Lightweight and high power, they cover a fairly large crowd with adequate volume and great intelligibility. Of those I recommended, I use dV-DOSC the most, M'elodie being my favourite. They all perform very much the same.

I've done quite a few outdoor rock shows with dV-DOSC, 500-1000 people... while not ideal, SPL is fairly adequate and coverage is excellent. Just be sure you're using at least 6 boxes per side. 12 boxes of any one of these, plus rigging, amps (except for the meyers), cabling, cases, etc. = $$$$$$. Be sure you have the budget available to assemble a proper system, so work closely with your SR contractor and be sure you communicate your needs well.

Also note that with line arrays, especially compact line arrays, it's very easy to push them too hard. Ensure that proper setup and limiting is done to prevent over-running the rig, as well take the time to understand the limits of the rig and don't exceed them. Line arrays are deceptive in that they push a lot of SPL, but don't sound as "loud" as their conventional array counterparts, they have much better clarity and projection, however. You're not going to get big rock concert SPL, especially outdoors, but I don't necessarily believe that's what you need or desire.

• Members

I'd think a line array would be a poor choice for 1000 people venues anyways - but there are some line array lookalikes (2 hangs) if you really want looks over function. Three 60 degree (?) trapezoidal tops over three 2x18 subs per side should do what you want with a whole lot less hassle and be scalable for smaller venues.

• Members

We also use dvdosc and while it's a killer system, it's far from ideal for every venue we work in. Sometimes one of our conventional trap box systems is just a better fit. It's true that small line arrays are light and portable, but I wouldn't say they're easier to set up than a conventional system. If you buy a line array, make sure you know what's involved with the hardware, rigging, and software. If there's one complaint I have with our L'acoustics products, it's all of the external hardware you have to keep track of. There's something to be said for rolling in some traps and pointing em at the audience.

• Members

Sorry for missing info.

It's about 60~70 ft wide and 150ft long that's from where the speakers would be set up.

I just thought line array would be better since we invited a group and they brought a line array system and it was 1000x better sounding then ours.

Currently we use JBL old 4300 series cabinets which is quite hard to move around and set up the right height. :(

And what are some good sounding cabinets that can compare to the line array sound?

• Members

I wouldn't say they're easier to set up than a conventional system.

I also forgot to point out that line arrays are a different world, and need to be set up and configured by someone trained in the use of line array systems. I'm not V-DOSC certified but my co-worker is, he does all the aiming and aligning for our rig. I should've pointed out that performance can suffer if the rig isn't properly configured, there's more to it than just putting the boxes up in the air and pointing them at the crowd. It's not hard if you know what you're doing, but there is a bit of a learning curve to switching to line arrays.

• Members

I heard a compact EV line array tonight, sub-stacked (1 dual 18), 8 high each side on about a 2.5' - 3' high stage in an 1800 cap venue with about 50' ceilings, rock-ish bands, and it sounded good despite all the hiccups and poor mix. Carried the room rather well, would have liked to hear the headliner through it though.

• Members

Hello Guys. after forgetting my old sn/pw I rejoined today.
:wave:
anyways, I'm looking for a compact/small line array system with Good rig.

I Prefer Weather resistence, should cover upto 1000 people room with hogh spl, It's for church use.

Lighter is always +

and we have everything else, just thinking about replacing our outdated boxes.

So far, I'm looking at EAW JFL, D.A.S and couple others.

Any suggestions?

Expensive... What's your budget? Unless you have 10k to spend I think this is a tough path...

Todd A.

• Members

I believe they used EAW. Not sure which model it was. (it was kf serioes though and not compact)

And yes I know it's going to be much more than replacing the cabinets.

We are trying to keep it under 50k for the system. including the processor.

Or if we can keep our DR260 and use the subs we have around, upto 20k~30k for the mid/hi speakers only.

So far, I'm looking at more closely on the EVA, EAW JFL, and Nexo.

And on the paper JFL series is close to what we are looking for, really light and covers pretty wide pattern too.

• Members

It's time to get intimate with your local pro audio supplier, there's quite a bit of detail to what you want to do and you need somebody to follow through on all this.

If the room is really deep (or is this outside?) That's a 12,000 sq ft area, and pretty deep so line arrays would certainly be on the list of solutions BUTthere's a fair amount of user stuff that goes along with set-up and such. Will you need to ground stack this?

I've got a used line array system available that might do the trick, depending on where you are located it may be very affordable. These are set up for flying or easy ground stacking.

For new stuff, figure for budget purposes around $4k/box plus another $1.5k/box for amplification. You can use your DR-260 provided you go 2 way plus sub. This will at least get you in the ballpark with the hardware. This is all average, some boxes will be way higher, some lower but at least a way to sort some of this out.

• Members

I'm in the tristate area, and thanks for giving me a rough budget.

How many boxes will I need to cover that kind of place? or wattage?

Right now we are trying to find a reputable contractor to finish our project.

I just wanted to see some inputs on the forum and get some rough idea before we start the project.

• Members

I'm in the tristate area, and thanks for giving me a rough budget.

How many boxes will I need to cover that kind of place? or wattage?

Right now we are trying to find a reputable contractor to finish our project.

I just wanted to see some inputs on the forum and get some rough idea before we start the project.

Which tri-state area would that be? We'd be happy to help you out if you're nearby.

Some other possible speaker options:

FBT Modus

RCF NX

ADR Audio L2821

Yorkville VTC

Jeff

Archived