buying a VOX AC15 or Fender Blues Junior

MesaMonster

• Moderators

I would guess whichever is your favorite. Kind of hard to tell you without knowing what kind of music you intend to be playing. 

I would just try the amps 'dry' and pick the one that sounds like what you are after. Adding a pedal is just icing on the cake..

Both are capable of some reasonably decent OD.

Edited by daddymack
removed reference to the AV15

• MesaMonster changed the title to buying a VOX AC15 or Fender Blues Junior
  • Moderators

ahhh..a much different set of circumstances than originally presented. Still, I stand by my original advice...with a caveat...an AC15 is just an amp without the 'top boost' remote footswitch pedal...so figure in the price of that as well. The BJ's FAT switch is also footswitchable, but not that big of a deal by comparison.

• Members
On 11/1/2021 at 2:28 AM, MesaMonster said:

I am going tomorrow to test both amps. Which overdrive/distortion pedal should I bring to test with? Thx

I had the Vov AC15 custom classic. I personally thought it was a ok, but nothing special amp. The Blues Junior is ok in my book. Better price, nicer carry to gigs.

Sold the Vox, I still have the BJ tweed.

I am a fan of tremolo on an amp.

Vox  makes there stuff in China and Vietnam, the BJ is made and Mexico. There's some nice mods you can do to the BJ, as it's probably on of Fenders most popular amps.

Let us know what you did, or didn't do.

There are plenty of Vox like amps out there. This was a killer amp, but not a defunct company.

https://reverb.com/item/5672217-valvetech-hayseed-15

I have a Dr Z Maz 18 with reverb, and the eq bypass mod, and think is sounds more like a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb than a Vox. It's a very nice sounding amp.

Good luck shopping.

• Members

They are both great.  I love Blues Jrs. though.  

The Fender just has the tone I live for.

I tend to run mine into a Jet City ISO cab with a 

Scumback speaker.  It rips cranked. Then I hear whatever comes through 

my mic of choice through my studio monitors.

AC-15 sounds amazing too this way (yes I have both amps)

but I find the BJ in the box more these days.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Not a fan of either, the BJ is ubiquitous and seems  I get stuck with one all the time If it is a don't bring an amp situation. Bought an AC15 and in a cavernous GC it sounded really loud but at home at home it broke up too fast and lacked the upper mid thump. I must say it had the best Mike Campbell Dam the Torpedoes tone. While i dislike the BJ, and find it rather generic It has a better clean at a louder volume, but that has been Fender thing for 50 or 60 years.