Any Reason I shouldn't buy 2 x QSC 122i's

• Members

Evening.

My trigger finger is ready to purchase...

This will be the first PA system and by far the most expensive piece of audio equipment i have bought this far. Hence, i want to make sure it's 200% right!

I hear the SRX line is pretty good but can't really be bothered with amps.

Anyone want to share their experiences with the QSC?

• Members

K-Series are a half-step backwards from the HPR's. If you're spending the money... buy the HPR's. :)

The SRX's you'd need an amp + cables etc.... If you really want to spend the cash on high end powered speakers, look at JBL VRX or Vertecs... EAW NT Series... Turbosound TQ Series... Danley Soundlabs...

• Members

I'd go with their K12's unless you have good hernia insurance and want to get your money's worth out of it
:lol:

Majority of the opinions i've heard (mostly on PSW) suggest that the K12 is not quite as good.

Weight isn't really an issue for me. I have a few good trolleys and helpers at hand!

I have a generalised opinion that says if it's lighter and cheaper, its probably not as good. And for the most part, i have found that true with a lot of amplification products!

• Members
I have a generalised opinion that says if it's lighter and cheaper, its probably not as good. And for the most part, i have found that true with a lot of amplification products!

I've got some "boat anchor" amps I'm willing to swap even for Itech's if anybody's interested :lol:.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread but I just got a stupid good deal on a couple Peavey PR-12D "Class D" powered mains I'll try out soon. Certainly not in the $800/ea class but perhaps good enough for what I do and only 28lbs each :eek:. They sure are getting closer to that elusive "self carrying speaker" every year :lol:.

• Members

Since weight is not a factor, then, it would probably come down to personal preference. Take a listen to both and see which one you like better, which one just does it for you.

For me (and probably some others who are a little bit further along the age scale than you), the 20 lb difference per speaker is a deal-breaker.

I've heard the PRX and dig it. I even like the cool blue light! Haven't heard the QSC's though I'm dying to!!

Johnny

• Members

I've said it before, I'll say it again. You only have to lift them for a few seconds, but you have to listen to them all night. For my ears, I'll take the HPRs over the PRX any day. They sound great, are well built, and backed up with a great warranty if anything were to happen.

• Members

I have 4 122's. I'll probably buy a couple more before the rebate is over. They're a great all-purpose speaker.

The real wood cabinet makes for a good sounding (albeit heavy) box, and they get loud and still sound clear. The conical horn is great as a monitor, but works nicely for mains as well.

Oh, and QSC put handles in all the places you would want them. Obviously the people who designed the PRX didn't anticipate them ever being moved...

• Members

Wonder if they will ever put amps on the SRXs? I have not heard anyone knock the PRX series and the QSCs are really nice, either line would be great. If I had unlimited funds I would go with the SRX and a light weight amp. The SRXs are more neutral IMO.

So far only the sub has a powered model. SRX/VRX passive subs=VRX918SP.

• Members

You can safely pull the trigger. I've a/b'd the HPR's with the K series . and the HPR's sound a lot better to my ears. I bought 4 HPR's to use as monitors and find that they take a lot less EQ to sound great. The K's sounded great when dialed in also. As far as the SXA's go I don't think they hold a candle to the HPR's. Big time difference. I've used a pair of HPR 122i's on sticks with a single JBL MRX 528 to do a accoustic guitar/keyboard duo on numerous occasions. The sound was pretty amazing considering the quality level of the gear. Surprised the hell out of me actually! Good solid boxs, both physically and accoustically.

• Members

Half a year ago I went to Guitar Center and compared all the available powered speakers in a similar price range to the HPR122i's. Based on what I heard and other opinions, we went with the QSCs. They have worked well for our needs.

• Members

Super, the trigger has been pulled. I'll be putting them through their paces next friday and will post a full review afterwards :thu:

It turns out i might have enough budget to purchase an additional Sub too!

181i a worthwhile buy??

I'd also be tempted by an SRX + amp. I've heard one of these is a dance music club and i was VERY impressed! It was exceptionally tight!

• Members

Keep in mind that subs have no real resale value -- if you want to save some money on the sub, keep an eye on the used market. We see subs on Craigslist all the time, even in the SRX range, going for next to nothing because people are moving and can't move them with them, downsizing, etc.

• Members

Phil, it will make for a decent little set up. I've been out looking for a small sub to add to a 122i for the drummers monitor. I considered both the 15 and the 18 and was happy with the performance of both. I tried the JBL PRX sub and the 122i's, they just didn't seem to want to play well. Something about the way the crossover was handling it from what I could tell. I may be totally wrong there but the PRX tops sounded way better with the PRX subs. But I still prefer the sound of the HPR's over the PRX cabs. I know Andy mentioned that there was a difference in the processing(crossover) in the 2 different subs and it may just be that the engineers had different goals in mind when desigining them.

Archived