Greg

GregMC5

• Members

I have a Marshall JCM 800 model 4104 ( 50watts 2x12 combo) that I bought new in 1983-1984.  It has 6550 power tubes which I kept. No reverb, no channel switching. You plug in and play. I also scored some NOS RCA power tubes for it. It's the only Marshall I had ever owned, until I purchased a Marshall Class 5 1x10 Combo. Like JCM 800 I own, they were also made in the UK. There are  many different versions of the JCM 800, including ones like yours with channel Switching, some with reverb and some ran 100 watts.

Since I hauled my own gear, always, my JCM 800 is in killer shape, with no rips or scraped in the tolex. I did scratch the face plate near the 2 input jacks. 

This is not mine, but these are the amps. The same over and under High/ Low input jacks.

If yo ever open one up they are a pretty simple build. Nothing special in quality, but some killer. The gain is not too crazy or compressed.

owyo8aanm06mp1ocuoib.jpg

This one is missing the bottom bracket for some reason and someone also put on casters on it.

Unknown.jpg

They also came with a cheap vinyl cover, that was not clean but more opaque. Mine didn't make it after 20 years, so I tossed it.

The JCM 800's where not cheap, but a "good one" will fetch about 3 times the money that they cost new in the 80's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Marshall Class 5 amps are also cool for recording. A bit darker than one might think. There the older version and the second revised version of those amps. 

dufhjyawvlwucrxgaeqj.jpg

u4dljx9hl7wy5jp4w7rb.jpg

mgtazmgpmu2prf064l2h.jpg

If you ever come back to HC, I love talking about amps, guitars, music gear and music in general.