Are my speakers at risk with this setup?

• Members

I just picked up an amp for the home studio, an Alesis RA500 (Super-cheap brand new; probably will be discontinued soon...).

Anyways, I'm now running an amp rated at "150w RMS per channel" at 8 ohms, into some NS-10s rated at 25w "Rated Power" and 50w "Max Power" at 8 ohms.

I thought I was replacing my existing amp with the same model (an amp/speaker combo that has been running fine for 20 years), but it turns out the original amp is an RA150 (45w RMS at 8 ohms). Whoops...

Based on all I've read here, I'm thinking this isn't a good match. Can I avoid problems simply by running at low volume (which I ALWAYS do anyways)?

• Members

As long as you run them at reasonable levels, you should be fine. Also make sure not to tell the speakers they are being pushed by a 150 watt per channel amp. That might really scare them, especially being Halloween and all... ;)

I'm really not a fan of NS10s, though. They are not your main monitors are they? I guess if a mix sounds good on those, it'll sound good on anything. I think that is the logic behind them being such a popular studio choice...

Al

• Members

As long as you run them at reasonable levels, you should be fine. Also make sure not to tell the speakers they are being pushed by a 150 watt per channel amp. That might really scare them, especially being Halloween and all...
;)

I'm really not a fan of NS10s, though. They are not your main monitors are they? I guess if a mix sounds good on those, it'll sound good on anything. I think that is the logic behind them being such a popular studio choice...

Al

Yep, they're the main speakers, but mostly I mix using an array of headphones (I know, I know...). I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as the mixes 'translate', right? Mostly, I'm getting workable mixes on the first shot, but sometimes end up tweaking the low end after repeated listens on multiple systems.

It's all for fun these days, anyways. :)

Archived