which strings for my guitar?

longhorntuba

• Members

Hello All,

Despite playing music for over 20 years, I have never memorized string width or length.

I was trying to string an acoustic guitar by the name Bristol BD-16 Dreadnaught when said string snapped.
I used old strings from a short scale Musima I usually play with and I could feel that these strings were not designed for it due to the tension.

I like to play in D with metal strings and my question is which string tension or length must I buy to play a Bristol BD-16 Dreadnaught in D?

Thank you very much !

• Members
3 hours ago, longhorntuba said:

Hello All,

Despite playing music for over 20 years, I have never memorized string width or length.

I was trying to string an acoustic guitar by the name Bristol BD-16 Dreadnaught when said string snapped.
I used old strings from a short scale Musima I usually play with and I could feel that these strings were not designed for it due to the tension.

I like to play in D with metal strings and my question is which string tension or length must I buy to play a Bristol BD-16 Dreadnaught in D?

Thank you very much !

Use standard 11 or 12 gauge bronze strings (either 80/20 bronze of phosphor bronze).When you say you like to play in D do you mean the key of D on a guitar in standard E tuning or do you mean open D or D standard ( tuned 2 semitones down)?. If you are using a lower tuning I'd recomend going up to 13 gauge; open D would be OK with 12 gauge.

• Thanks 1