What amps are better for speaker cabs?

• Members
If you are referring to my "Hey, seein's how yous a expert and all" comment - AFAIK that is true when it comes to drivers and reconeing (and a bunch of other stuff) and was simply meant as a request for your expert opinion on the matter at hand - sorry if you interpreted it otherwise.

Oh, and on those PV118 "upgrade" drivers, are they Eminence or ? Obviously a name brand OEM (that is easily reconeable?) is much preferable to some chinese non-name throwaway
:(
. I'll not be buying any before I finish toasting these as I will just use a pair of my other subs while waiting for the new drivers to arrive - plus I'm getting less and less convinced that I CAN toast 'em
:lol:

Eminence, based on the Omega platform but with parameters more suitable to smaller boxes. Sometimes, a driver will work great for a small box exceptthat the port dimensions won't fit or the velocity is too high for a duct that will fit, etc. Nothing worse than a 16" deep box and a porting scheme that requires 20" of depth.

• Members
I

Oh, and on those PV118 "upgrade" drivers, are they Eminence or ? Obviously a name brand OEM (that is easily reconeable?) is much preferable to some chinese non-name throwaway
:(
. I'll not be buying any before I finish toasting these as I will just use a pair of my other subs while waiting for the new drivers to arrive - plus I'm getting less and less convinced that I CAN toast 'em
:lol:

Why would you buy a speaker cabinet with the intention of blowing out the drive then find a suitable replacement? Why not buy a better speaker in the first place? I also notice you have quite a few different sets of speakers. I believe you have 3 or 4 sets of random cabinets. I hope you are not making sideway moves in speakers, and wasting your money.

• Members
Why would you buy a speaker cabinet with the intention of blowing out the drive then find a suitable replacement?

The PV118's aren't mine - they belong to the band I most work with. They understand that they are way overpowered by their RMX2450 and are OK with reloading them when they blow. They'd rather sound good than have me baby them. I only run them hard into the red outdoors anyways.

My 4 subs are all 500wrms 1x15" with 4" vc's and I run a pair off of an RMX1450 clone - either 300w in stereo or 700w bridged into each. I only do the latter outdoors and only push that amp into the limiters in stereo.

I've actually never blown a driver - ever :cool:.

Archived