Mackie SR1521z - any good???

• Members

Saw this in a local Craig's list ad:

Mackie SR1521z Powered Speakers

$1250 OBO or Trade for a pair JBL JRX 125 with amp.

I have a pair of JRX125's and a QSC RMX2450. I've been wanting to get some new speakers and subs. Seems to me like it would be a no brainer - I fell out of love with the JRX's pretty quick. Would the Mackie's leave me wanting for more (other than subs)? Currently, I prefrer to run only vocals through my rig, but end up tossing in everything more often than not (guitar, bass, and kick + snare)

BTW...I'd be using them for my weekend warrior 4-piece rock cover band...small bars, less than 200 people.

THink this would be something you'd do?

• Members
Mackie SR1521z

I got to use a pair of those a couple gigs and they sounded great. They do have a bit of a bad rep as to cooking drivers if you push them too hard but just don't do that :lol: and they sound boatloads better than those JRX for sure! Trade quick before that guy comes to his senses :eek:.

• Members

Not sure what the person trading them is trying to achieve... have used both and its a no brainer.

Trade? Free swap?

I'd be carefully checking the condition because that is a steal. For example they may have thrashed the mackies and be looking for a 2x15 for more volume. Which, i am not even sure if they will achieve it.

• Members

I replied to the ad...still available, and still in negotiations (they are going to take them to GC to see what they will give them?)

I am more than a little skeptical on this deal as well - I can't think of why the poster specifically is looking for the JRXs. I do plan on meeting somewhere where I can hook them up and test drive them - and plan on doing the same for my end of the deal.

Thanks for all the responses!

• Members

While I am thinking about it..what else can / should I be checking for other than the obvious (sounds like crap, missing parts, etc..)??? As mentioned, I am quite skeptical here, and need to have some speakers avalable for my upcoming gigs...but don't want to miss out on a chance to upgrade my rig.

• Members

GC's offer for those 1521s will probably be in the $500 range - $600 tops. For the pair.

The person wanting to trade those 1521s could well be a DJ without subs looking for cheap low end swat. Or he could have had problems with them and wants to dump them. Compression drivers - mentioned by others - and the internal power amps are areas to look into and ask about.

Archived