Hot or Not

gardo

• Members

I have to go with not, and I'm usually a fan of unusual and funky looking guitars.

On this one there is no one deal breaker, just a combination of wrongs. Knob and switch placement, pickguard, color, body shape. Any one of those things would maybe be okay, but the combination of them all makes me pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Definitely strange looking. I didn't like the looks  at first. Watched some videos of it in action and it sound really good to my ears.

I bet in 1954 the Strat was a bit weird looking.

800 bucks. Gig bag.

I try to get a hard shell case for it, but it's nothing that I'd run out and buy.

• Members
4 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Definitely strange looking. I didn't like the looks  at first. Watched some videos of it in action and it sound really good to my ears.

I bet in 1954 the Strat was a bit weird looking.

800 bucks. Gig bag.

I try to get a hard shell case for it, but it's nothing that I'd run out and buy.

See? Now I want her. I mean one.

• Members

I am a huge Rickenbacker fan. They don't make too may solid bodies, but they do make a few. Most Ricks are semi hollowbodies.

They are not cheap, but they are really not that expensive. 

They rarely advertise the pricing of them, but you will find some sweet discounts out there. They are not exactly a one trick pony, like many think.

Plus not many play Rickenbacker guitars.

Check out the gal, play jazz on one.

What I have a is a fireglo 330 ( still probably my fav)

a Jet Glo 330-12

a 620 six string in fireglo. It has a very thick fretboard and takes a bit of getting used too

And the the 3 pick up 350 "63: in Midnight Blue. That has the toaster pups, which are very low output, but they are very cool. The middle pick up IMHO is in the way of my picking.

The Hall's are a tough bunch, if you ever break anything on a Rick, you will need to send the broken  part back in for replacement. The cool thing is you either play a Rick, or you go with out, but I have seen some imported stuff. The Hall's keep the competition out of the states, by suing everyone.

They sound great through classic Fender amps and Marshalls too.

I have other Semi Hollow body guitars from Gibson and a few hollow bodies too. I just plan out what I want, put some money aside and one a year I pick out something. I own a few higher end guitars made in Japan, but nothing made in China, Korea, or places like that. 

This years purchase was  a Martin HD 28.

Not exactly cheap, but it sound killer. I just had a Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend system put in to it, and plugged in it sounds amazing. I was torn better the Fishman and the Baggs Anthem. I'm in MA  and Fishman is a Mass based company, so at the last minute I went with them. Plus I own a bunch of other Fishman products. On my Gibson F5G mandolin uses a Baggs M Radius and Baggs Venue Pre-amp. Both are great acoustic pick ups.

• Moderators
On 9/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, gardo said:

What do you think

Hot ,Not or Confused 

1B724F69-E086-4987-94B7-CA7890617F80.thumb.jpeg.104d1b1ac0a2efef504bb101f0c038c6.jpeg

not hot, honestly..too much of a stylistic mash-up for my taste: a 'thinline' semi, an offset, a H-S-S with only two knobs, a whammy, and the big honkin' D'A headstock...I own a D'A, but I would not own this one.

• Haha 1

• Members
9 minutes ago, daddymack said:

not hot, honestly..too much of a stylistic mash-up for my taste: a 'thinline' semi, an offset, a H-S-S with only two knobs, a whammy, and the big honkin' D'A headstock...I own a D'A, but I would not own this one.

I love D'D jazz box stuff. A buddy of mine has one and it's very nice.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Doesn't seem like a very practical guitar to me.. I like the headstock shape and the body shape, but the knobs and switch are just too far away. Having them next to the bridge pickup would be more ideal. That F-hole is also way too much. Most guitars with F-holes have them out of the way from the right hand. Where the F-hole is positioned in this guitar its in line with where a player's right hand might move, aka taking hard strums. Sure this guitar looks "cool" but its guitar-fengshui is totally off.

• Haha 1