Try It Myself or Pass??

ksl

• Members

Hi all~ OK,, Being the person that has learned to do pretty much everything myself, I'm pondering whether or not to tackle the task of moving this here bridge 2mm to the side & 2mm back. It's a wonderful freshman attempt project guitar that I acquired, & even before I received it, I could tell from the photos that something was sligtly off....

So what's the best way to pull this thing off w/o wrecking it beyond beauty, then wishing I had let my 'guy' do it??

Thanks all~

20210923_185822.jpg

Edited by ksl

• Members

Youll need to pull the bushings, plug it and redrill.  Your new hole will be part on the plug and partly in the body wood which can be tricky.  The bit may want to wander.  I wouldn't attempt it without a drill press. Do you have a drill press? Fwiw, most home drill presses dont have a large enough throat to reach bridge posts, so id check that first. Of course that depends on the body shape. 

You sure it only needs to move back 2mm? Id maybe move it a little more than that if you need more room to adjust for intonation.  

• Members

Hey #49,, NO, I do not own nor do I have access to a drill press.  Moving the assembly back only 2mm will get my saddles off the back wall, but the intonation as it sits now is 99.998% on, & certainly close enuff for RnR, but I'm cursed by my pursuit for perfection,,,, If I didn't need to make the lateral correction, I wouldn't mess with going back at all. Here's another shot:

Screenshot_20210923-210011_Gallery.jpg

• Members
1 hour ago, jtr654 said:

Looking at your guitar the neck needs to be moved to the right (treble side) it's not inline .You have the low E string off the fret board near the body. This is the problem with your guitar!

Don't you mean to the left, bass side, as you're looking at the front? 

• Members
4 hours ago, ksl said:

And what does this plug consist of,,, more wood, & would it be cut on a jig? This is all new territory, hence my apprehension,, but I just know I can do it, but I don't own all the required tools,,

thnx

A dowel will work fine as a plug. 

Without a drill press you should pass on this one. 

• Members
14 hours ago, jtr654 said:

Looking at your guitar the neck needs to be moved to the right (treble side) it's not inline .You have the low E string off the fret board near the body. This is the problem with your guitar!

Oh,, now I get what you were saying,,, I thought you meant the entire neck needs to shift over, but to nudge judge the headstock end to the right!! Thnx

🕉🎶

• Members
19 hours ago, jtr654 said:

Did it work for you?

Oh, yes!!!

Well,, ya'll rock, & you saved me from a task I was hesitant to attack from the git-go,,,,
Loosening the neck, I was able to squeeze at least 1mm of sideways tilt, & as you can see, it's close enuff for comfort,,,, Get a gander of that nut!!! That'll get me banned, huh?!?! & there's the before a after neck shots
So, all in all, I'll be all in for just a simple nut job....  VOILA!! Again, thnx....

peace ॐ

Screenshot_20210924-203758_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-203506_Gallery.jpg

• Members
Again, mission accomplished when as per your many suggests, I loosened the neck bolts, applying as much pressure to the very topside of the neck, cautiously pushing it towards the high 'e' side, & with my socked foot wrapped around the left horn, I was able to nudge a satisfactory 1mm or so (before & after pictured above), & tighten at least one upper bolt, & VOILA!! New bone nut & gold mini Grovers coming in a few days, & this crazy Cocobolo is done, & spectacular, in firm & fashion!!
Thnx all~