electric guitar signal from PA into Traynor YCV80 guitar tube amp?

ironbook

• Members
Hi, everyone,

I hope you can help me with a question regarding our church's PA connecting into my Traynor YCV80 tube amp.

1=current setup (traditional): electric guitar ->effects pedals board-->YCV80 amp guitar input -->mic in front of amp-->PA-->house speakers (no IEMs used)

With the idea to fully control the volume of my rig and planning to introduce in-ear monitor earphones, this is what was suggested to try next:

2 electric guitar-->effects pedals board--->YCV80 guitar input--> to its XLR lineout-->PA. (IEMs used and fed from PA. Sounded terrible)

This was then tried:

3 guitar-->effects pedals board-->passive DI-->PA. (IEMs used fed by PA. Sounded even worse)

In both number 2 and 3 above, the sound of the guitar through the IEMs were unusable, e.g; harsh but fizzy distortion, dry, and very thin.

This is what's contemplated:

4 electric guitar-->effects pedals board-->passive DI-->PA-->YCV80 amp guitar input. IEMs fed by PA, and at the same time, I can use the amp as another monitor beside me.

I'm not comfortable with the PA feeding the YCV80 a signal from the PA. It seems to defeat the purpose of the IEMs. Also, i'm concerned about damage to my vintage tube amp, never having plugged anything but an electric guitar in it.

I'd like your thoughts on this idea. Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise and experience.

• Members

If you really want to feed the IEMs from a DI, you really need to use an amp/speaker modeler.

Your best option IMO is to just use the mic'd cab to feed the monitors.  Youll have to be careful with your amp volume, maybe point it upwards or sideways.  If you find you have to set the amp volume so low you cant get a decent sound from the amp, ditch the amp and get a modeling rig.

I dont like the idea of the monitors having a different tone path than the mains.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

1) I have to ask if the person administering the output of the IEMs knows what they are doing.  Both your options #2 & #3 should have produced a satisfactory outcome.

2) You could feed a 'monitor out' to the amp as in #4, but why? That defeats the purpose of the IEMs. In fact, it makes no sense at all since you wind up where you were in #1, with a live amp on stage.

3) I am dumbfounded that using the XLR [balanced] out from the amp to the PA was a problem, since these are included in amps for exactly this purpose. Again, I have to question the competence of the person on the mixer.

4) Without knowing what is on your pedalboard, it is difficult to diagnose much further... is there a buffer on your pedalboard?