Unknown Pedals - What are they?

ZuteMan_TX

• Members

spacer.pngand I'm already asking for help.

Gary from Texas here. New member. 1st post. I'm a guitar amp guy. I only know the very common, basic effects and processors.

A recent bulk purchase of a musical gear collection has me in possession of a bunch of stomp boxes. I'm down to only a few I can't identify. Photo is attached. Any help identifying the manufacturer, pedal name, $ value and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

I did find the Burford web site but no help regarding the specific pedal.

Thanks!

Edited by ZuteMan_TX

• Moderators

clearer photos of individual pedals [so the nomenclature is legible] would be very helpful!

Have you tried the pedals out? I mean, that would be the first thing I would do....Also opening them up sometimes reveals information, like MFR date, serial numbers, etc.

The 'backtalker'...might be similar to the reverse delay Danelectro Backtalk Pedal

The Burford Sitar is likely similar to the EHX Ravish Sitar or the Danelectro Sitar Swamp pedal.

The Dirty Little Secret is a classic Catalinbread OD pedal, but the case you have is not a standard case. The control config does look like it could be a 'MKI/V1' rehoused.

Shapeshifter is the name of a tremolo pedal by Seymour Duncan, and also intellijel/Cyclonix used that name for its VCO modulation pedal, neither of which are the pedal you have, so:idk:

These are very possibly either clones made by 'one-off' builders, repackaging of other pedals or pure custom models.

• Members

Backtalker.jpg

Who knows? Looks like a homemade pedal, possibly a re-house of a commercially-made pedals. Based on the "Fuzz" "Sweep" and rotary selector and name, it might be an envelope filter ('auto-wah') with fuzz. 

Sitar.jpg

A "Sitar" pedal, bleah. Danelectro made a Sitar pedal. This pedal looks home-made too, is "Burford Electronics" a real pedal company? 

Zentone2.jpg

Clearly a home-made clone of the "Zen Drive", a famous boutique overdrive known for it's smooth and transparent OD tones. Probably a kit-built clone. 

Shape-Shifter.jpg

This one looks like a commercially-made pedal, from a small "boutique" maker. The only knob I can make out is labeled "Attack", so possibly a vintage style fuzz pedal. 

DLS.jpg

"Dirty Little Secret" is an amp-type overdrive pedal sold by boutique pedal company Caitlinbread. I don't think this is that pedal, it looks to me like an OD/Distortion pedal built from a kit from one of the two big kit makers, BYOC or GGG. 

Musical-notes.jpg

Looks like a Joyo pedal of some kind, or possibly a "clone kit" from one of the companies I mentioned above.  Probably another OD pedal... 

ups-code.jpg

Based on the controls, it's most likely a compressor. Looks to be a commercially-made boutique pedal. 

With most pedals it's pretty apparent what they do when they're plugged in and played through... :idea: 

To find out what's really going on, you'll need to at least open up the back and look at the circuit board, and if possible, a look at the component side of the circuit board, and that would probably answer any question as to whether these  are commercial pedals that have been put in new or "redecorated" enclosures, or if these are built from kits, perfboard, whatever. 

IF the 'Shape Shifter' and 'bar code' compressor are commercial products, they may have some value. But they could be home-made pedals too, just with better graphics.   Presuming the other pedals are either kits or DIY rehouses, those pedals don't really have any collectible value.  

Search google, Reverb and this place: 

https://www.effectsdatabase.com/#

Edited by Mr.Grumpy

• Members

Thanks again!

I tested all the pedals and know what they do, just didn't know anything else. Burford is a pedal manufacturer in the UK, at least the site I found says that....the Sitar pedal is not on their site. As a few folks suggested, I'm gonna crack them open and see if there are additional clues. Rookie soldering is very easy to identify (says the snooty amp guy!).

Gary