RCF ART722A initial thoughts

• Members

This thing just sound phenomenal. The 250w on the 2" HF driver produced a well defined top end and mids. It sounded so open and just gets better as you crank up the volume. I've also noticed a fuller and more defined lower frequencies than it's predecessors but a sub is most definitely still needed to make it more efficient as it is :thu:

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/web/rcf/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-722-a

dsc01881e.th.jpgdsc01891t.th.jpg

• Members

I'm still extremely pleased w/ my RCF ART705AS subs and my RCF ART522A tops! So many other cabinets that I thought sounded decent now sound very harsh to me compared to the 522A cabinets. The power ratings of my 522A cabinets are virtually the same as your 722A cabinets, but I think now RCF uses their own amps instead of a 3rd party design.

The only thing that I'm reminded of every now and then that I don't like is the power cord. I don't know how or why RCF came up with such a rigid, inflexible power cord. I'm going to have to replace them some day...

• Members

What cord are you referring to? For the subs? My 522s use the standard iec cable.

JP

The subs use a powercon (like speakon, but for power so it can't be pulled out easily). He may be referring to the physical properties of the cord itself. It's an extremely stiff cable. The powercon is a great idea, BUT you really need to make a backup cable for it. if you don't, and something goes wrong with it, you're out a sub.

There's also a powercon "out" on the sub. I ended up taking an IEC cord, chopping off the 3 prong plug and installing a powercon end. This allows one outlet to be used for the sub and mains. I also lashed an XLR cable to it so both cords stay together as they make their way to the top box (RCF 522A, that I LOVE).

• Members

the 522 would still hold it's ground
:)

When I saw the 722A's I was like "oh man", but then I looked at the specs and they are pretty much the same as the 522A's. While I'm sure the 722A's are "better" it does appear it's a not an earth shattering difference and I use subs anyway so more bottom end really doesn't matter. Certainly didn't seem like enough of a difference to scuttle the 522A's or move them to monitor duty, where they'd be overkill.

We actually use 322A's for monitors currently. I scored them on ebay, new for $1300 for the pair. Heavier, with not as much output, and sound "different" than the 522A's, but make killer monitors, and also look the same as the 522A's and can be used if doubling up FOH or as an FOH replacement if something goes wrong.

• Members

Mr. Abzurd and I have the same setup...RCF ART705AS subs with RCF ART522A tops. We both purchased before the newest ART 7 Series came out. There is some difference in cabinet design but the major difference is the switch from 3rd party amps to RCF's own amps.

The IEC power cord is what I was talking about. If it's a hot, sunny day, the cord is reasonably flexible. If it's not a hot, sunny day, the darn thing just doesn't want to straighten out.

• Members

I'm using 1 RCF705as sub with my 2QSC122i boxes at the moment.

Only done 1 gig with it but wasn't that impressed. It shook the walls but i couldn't get it to thump at all.

Using it again tomorrow, see if i have any better luck.

You might be asking too much from a single sub.

• Members

I'm using 1 RCF705as sub with my 2QSC122i boxes at the moment.

Only done 1 gig with it but wasn't that impressed. It shook the walls but i couldn't get it to thump at all.

Using it again tomorrow, see if i have any better luck.

It's a bandpass box with a 15" woofer rated for about 800 watts. You should really have 2 subs for your setup, and if you want it to thump you probably really need a bass reflex box with an 18" sub like this: http://www.rcf.it/en_US/web/rcf/products/pro-speaker-systems/4pro-series/4pro-8001-as

Better yet, pick up a few of these: http://www.rcf.it/en_US/web/rcf/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-s21-a

• Members

We actually use 322A's for monitors currently. I scored them on ebay, new for $1300 for the pair. Heavier, with not as much output, and sound "different" than the 522A's, but make killer monitors, and also look the same as the 522A's and can be used if doubling up FOH or as an FOH replacement if something goes wrong.

Same setup here. But my monitors are 325As, 3 of them.

JP

• Members

Thanks for the replies... Does it really matter to pair the tops with the sub on it's model line?

Not at all really. Aesthetics is the only real reason I guess. We do a lot of weddings and corporate gigs so having a "good looking" rig is as important as how it sounds. I also have a pair of Yorkville LS700P subs, which are nearly identical in size, but sit wide and short instead of taller than they are wide like the RCF's. Honestly, even though they are a different design, they sound similar, with the RCF's being marginally more articulate. I got the RCF's because they have all the bells and whistles the Yorkvilles didn't (real crossover, limit lights, cord not attached, phase reverse, better routing options).

• Members

The 722 is a lot more. Other than newer material and better amps, how much better does it sound?? It uses the same drivers. I wonder if the new enclosure is that much better designed, making it sound a lot better than the 522 which is why it cost so much.

Is the 522 that far off from the 322 as well? It seams to be louder but same quality sound.

• Members

The 722 is a lot more. Other than newer material and better amps, how much better does it sound?? It uses the same drivers. I wonder if the new enclosure is that much better designed, making it sound a lot better than the 522 which is why it cost so much.

Is the 522 that far off from the 322 as well? It seams to be louder but same quality sound.

522 is a better quality of sound and also maintains the quality when pushed and the thing can get insanely loud for a single 12" box.

As for the amps, my previous comment questioned why they the switched to them. I've not read anything that explains the new amps are "better", just "different". It just seems like a move to bring them in house versus farming them out. There are many reasons they may have done this. Usually you make moves like this to gain efficiencies (costs, service, speed of production, maintain quality control).

• Members

You might be asking too much from a single sub.

Yes, one small sub isn't going to give you much "thump". I've actually noticed these subs couple very well when used in pairs. I cluster them when possible, which is about 1/2 the time.

• Members

The very reason why I bought the 722As without it's corresponding sub at the time of purchase is because I'm weighing between the 905AS and the EX2.2 and I'm leaning more unto the dual 12"s KV2
:confused:

What do you think?

Well the 522A's can run the subs out of the room, so I would assume the 722A's could do so as well. You could match the tops up with a much more robust sub. I looked at the 905AS, but really didn't see a huge increase on paper. From what I've read, the KV2's would be a noticeable difference.

• Members

The 722A is actually a bit less than the 522A. Same with the 725A vs 525A.

Archived