(noob here) How to connect mixer to powered speaker?

• Members

Hi guys,

My question is very basic and I apologize for being so incompetent. It is about the best way to connect a Peavey PR15D powered speaker to a Behringer XENYX 1002 mixer, which in turn is connected to my Guitar Multi-effects and my guitar.

So, at the mixer side, I have a Y-splitter which basically joins the two mains (I am connecting this to only one speaker, so I want both channels going in). Then the 1/4 jack runs to the speaker, it is MONO (both channels are merged).

The question is where to connect that into the Peavey PR15D powered speaker, as I have two options:

1) In the

• Members

Hi guys,

My question is very basic and I apologize for being so incompetent. It is about the best way to connect a Peavey PR15D powered speaker to a Behringer XENYX 1002 mixer, which in turn is connected to my Guitar Multi-effects and my guitar.

So, at the mixer side, I have a Y-splitter which basically joins the two mains (I am connecting this to only one speaker, so I want both channels going in). Then the 1/4 jack runs to the speaker, it is MONO (both channels are merged).

The question is where to connect that into the Peavey PR15D powered speaker, as I have two options:

1) In the

• Members

Sorry, I did sound backwards, I agree. What I meant was that, of course, sound comes from my guitar => effects => mixer => powered speaker.

Question is which input of the powered speaker to use---the one with the pre-amp and the volume control, or the "direct in", which seems to be exactly the input I should be using when coming from a mixer, so that I control the volume at the mixer.... Here is what is said in the mixer's manual:

The MAIN OUT connectors are unbalanced mono jacks. The main mix signal appears here at a level of 0 dBu. The MAIN MIX fader adjusts the volume of these outputs.

So, am I right I should use this?

• Members
Sorry, I did sound backwards, I agree. What I meant was that, of course, sound comes from my guitar => effects => mixer => powered speaker.

Question is which input of the powered speaker to use---the one with the pre-amp and the volume control, or the "direct in", which seems to be exactly the input I should be using when coming from a mixer, so that I control the volume at the mixer.... Here is what is said in the mixer's manual:

The MAIN OUT connectors are unbalanced mono jacks. The main mix signal appears here at a level of 0 dBu. The MAIN MIX fader adjusts the volume of these outputs.

So, am I right I should use this?

yep.

• Members

Don't bother with the Y jack. Take a left out (make sure everything is panned center, or left if you prefer) into the direct in. You've already put your signals through a pre-amp in your mixer so you don't want to do that again.

You won't get stereo effects, but with one speaker you're not going to anyway. If you have to have both left/right guitar in functional mono, sum them at the mixer (by using two guitar channels left and right) not after - just my opinion.

• Members

Don't bother with the Y jack. Take a left out (make sure everything is panned center, or left if you prefer) into the direct in. You've already put your signals through a pre-amp in your mixer so you don't want to do that again.

You won't get stereo effects, but with one speaker you're not going to anyway. If you have to have both left/right guitar in functional mono, sum them at the mixer (by using two guitar channels left and right) not after - just my opinion.

I do need the left/right in functional mono, but not the one from the guitar (I'm also driving a MP3 player for backing track into the mixer). If I understand correctly, I need to run the two channels from the MP3 into two separate inputs on the mixer. Thus, I will mix three things: the guitar, the left MP3 channel, and the right MP3 channel. Then, I'll pan all three to the left, and lead the left main out to the Direct In of the powered speaker.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thank you for the advice!

• Members

I do need the left/right in functional mono, but not the one from the guitar (I'm also driving a MP3 player for backing track into the mixer). If I understand correctly, I need to run the two channels from the MP3 into two separate inputs on the mixer. Thus, I will mix three things: the guitar, the left MP3 channel, and the right MP3 channel. Then, I'll pan all three to the left, and lead the left main out to the Direct In of the powered speaker.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thank you for the advice!

Correct.

• Members

Do not use the Y cable to combine the two outputs from your mixer. This puts abnormal severe load on the output line drivers and greatly increases distortion and decreases available drive level. It's also not good for them.

Just use the left output channel and everything will end up monpo anyway... OR if you have 2 speakers, take an output from left and output from right to the two speakers.

• Members

Do not use the Y cable to combine the two outputs from your mixer. This puts abnormal severe load on the output line drivers and greatly increases distortion and decreases available drive level. It's also not good for them.

Just use the left output channel and everything will end up monpo anyway... OR if you have 2 speakers, take an output from left and output from right to the two speakers.

Understood. Thanks!

Archived