SR 4700 2x15 subs?

• Members

Those are definitely not SR4715X. They appear to be SR4715As. They use the same 2226H drivers as the later X model and are very similar. I have 4 of the SR4715X, and they sound great. Their output capability per cabinet is a bit higher than the SR series 600W single 18, but significantly less than the dual 18. To my ear they have a bit tighter sound than the 18inch subs. I power them with one channel of a PLX3402 per cabinet (1100W into 4 ohms), and they thump nicely.

Before you buy them, make sure they have the JBL 2226H drivers and not some aftermarket replacement. They would be worth a lot less with other drivers. The easiest way to do this is pull off a handle and use a flashlight and mirror to check the labels on the back of the drivers. Also, if they've been reconed, try to get evidence it was done with JBL parts. Again, they are worth a lot less with a non-JBL recone.

• Members

I think they are might be priced a little high. I had a pair around 94-95 era.

That would make is series almost 15 years a old. I think they were selling around 1100 each new back then.

Depending on condition and how bad you want them, but keep in mind it might be impossible to find another pair. You will have a easier time finding 4719s.

• CMS Author

I concur on all accounts...they're "A"'s, they're old, you'd better check the drivers (pull the input jack plate off and look inside) to be sure they're JBL, and don't offer more than perhaps $500. It's an expensive driver to either buy or recone, and at that age and unknown history, you may need to do some work on them. But in good working order they're a very good sub.

• Members

Thanks for the info. Agedhorse told me that my subs are ok but not EV's best effort and I am using 4. I have 8 of them. I thought since these were only 2 cabs thaey would take up less room and faster load in & out. I could sell the EV's if these were better. Or sell half of them and keep 4 incase I were to damage the JBL's. I emailed him last night if they were 4715A or 4715X and his response was 4700 so I don't know if he even knows what he has. He says they have been sitting for a few years. I will shoot him another email on the drivers.

• Members

2 ofthose cabinets aren't going to keep up with 8 of the 18's for sure and even 4 of the 18's will probably have more SPL.

It's a nice box where they do not need to be moved, and where the output matches the application. Otherwise, it may be a move sideways.

That settles it then. I will stick with what I got.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived