I'm getting a compressor...

• Members

That's kind of where your homework starts. If you're told it's what to get just because someone on here says so and you don't understand why, what does it matter if you get it or not. Do some searches on the forum, there is plenty of material about this subject. The search is fixed, right?

• Members

I recommend reading the dynamics processing tutorial from Presonus. It's probably in a lot of their product manuals, but you can find it in the StudioLive manual starting with page 85. It does a good job of explaining what dynamics are, what the processors do and also gives examples of when to use them.

• Members

Will do.

Did you check out the link that Chickentown gave you on page 1 of this thread? the Prosoundweb link? Excellent tutorial, and A/B comparisons of various software and hardware compressors. Good stuff.

I too am new to compressors, and I'll probably be picking up a dbx 166XL shortly, but I doubt it will see much use for "live" performances. I'll probably use it for recording purposes. Once a year though, I do a freebie charity event here, and we do karaoke at one point, so the compressor may see some use there. (mic-eating drunks). Thank God I've only met one of those in the last two years.

Bob

• Members

Did you check out the link that Chickentown gave you on page 1 of this thread? the Prosoundweb link? Excellent tutorial, and A/B comparisons of various software and hardware compressors. Good stuff.

I too am new to compressors, and I'll probably be picking up a dbx 166XL shortly, but I doubt it will see much use for "live" performances. I'll probably use it for recording purposes. Once a year though, I do a freebie charity event here, and we do karaoke at one point, so the compressor may see some use there. (mic-eating drunks). Thank God I've only met one of those in the last two years.

Bob

Actually, no. I can't view it here at work and haven't had time at home yet. Though I don't know what I'm doing, I'm going to get the 266XL and play with it. I'm hoping it will help my singer a bit, but if not I'll just sell it out again.

• Members

Bob

i cant think of any signal i would want to use a 166xl on in a studio environment unless i was attempting to mangle a signal in a creative way, and i still probably would not use a 166xl for that.

i dont think you will like it in that environment, especially if you are trying to compress vocals in a legitimate manner.

the 166 is one of my goto comps live, buts it is not a sound i would want on a non-live recording.

• Members

Actually, no. I can't view it here at work and haven't had time at home yet. Though I don't know what I'm doing, I'm going to get the 266XL and play with it. I'm hoping it will help my singer a bit, but if not I'll just sell it out again.

it might help, but be aware that it does what it does and is no miracle worker. here's a hint to get you started: set it heavy ratio and the threshold so that the GR meters flash on occasion.

• Members

it might help, but be aware that it does what it does and is no miracle worker. here's a hint to get you started: set it heavy ratio and the threshold so that the GR meters flash on occasion.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm just going to start with the "Auto Switch" which is supposed to give "Classic DBX 160 series compression sounds" and then use the bypass to A/B it with a dry signal. Then I'll start twisting knobs. If I hate it, oh well :idk:

• Members

i cant think of
any
signal i would want to use a 166xl on in a studio environment unless i was attempting to mangle a signal in a creative way, and i still probably would not use a 166xl for that.

i dont think you will like it in that environment, especially if you are trying to compress vocals in a legitimate manner.

the 166 is one of my goto comps live, buts it is not a sound i would want on a non-live recording.

Coaster,

You're probably dead right. Most decent recording studio compressors tend to cost an arm and a leg too.(API's, Buzz-Audio, Shadow-Hills, etc)

My main reason for getting one, is primarily for some hands-on experience. I find there's little point saying to someone "don't get one", but rather, learn to use it properly, for those rare moments or situations when you will need it. Mind you, after watching that Prosoundweb video, a compressor has become a very low priority item for me.

Bob

• Members

Coaster,

You're probably dead right. Most decent recording studio compressors tend to cost an arm and a leg too.(API's, Buzz-Audio, Shadow-Hills, etc)

Bob

There are all kinds of excellent compressors that are used in the studio that do not cost an arm and a leg. You can spend that, but you don't have to. Note that often how much a piece costs has nopthing to do with how good it is, just how cool you are to have spent it.

• Members

True,

A good example of that apparently, is the FMR RNC (REally Nice Compressor), Get's great reviews, as does FMR's RNP (really nice pre-amp). Mercenary Audio sells rack-mount accessories for these units too. I think the RNC is something like $200. Single channel I believe. FMR also has a newer compressor, the RNLA, (Really Nice Levelling Amp) and the reviews again , are (to paraphrase) Really Excellent.:thu:

http://www.fmraudio.com/productspage.htm

http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnmp.html

• Members

It's funny...

Whenever I arrive at a bar or club with my band and I'm running sound the first thing I look for is the compressor's bypass button. I might turn one or two channels on later but doesn't happen that often. Gate+Eq for kick does wonders. Most singers I work with know what they're doing, so I rarely need compression for small gigs.

• Members

It's funny...

Whenever I arrive at a bar or club with my band and I'm running sound the first thing I look for is the compressor's bypass button. I might turn one or two channels on later but doesn't happen that often. Gate+Eq for kick does wonders. Most singers I work with know what they're doing, so I rarely need compression for small gigs.

a lot of gigs i do have a small window between "clear and audible" and "pain". 250 LOUD ppl in a piss poor room doesnt help either, nor do singers who are sheepy one tune and belt all hell the next, or the guy playing the snare that goes from "what snare?" to "CLIIIIIIIP". those guys get heavy comps. pro's not so much.

i did a stellar national level band thurs/fri and the singer's picture was in the dictionary under the words "incredibly excellent singer" and i ended up running a 166xl on him after the first set, taking mostly nothing off but the occasional -6db on shouts that entered "pain country" without the comp. i had no other comps but the one on his vox due to extreme high quality instruments and playing, didnt gate the drums either, although i did think about it due to a floor tom wanting to start take off in the mains. the midas inserts were lonely all night :D

• Members

1046, 166, 266, 1066 are all excellent comps, and when used reasonably are pretty darn transparent. If you compress the snot out of them, they will behave a little differently but generally there's not enough GBF margin to make that a problem live.

There's the Yamaha 2020, which is pretty good, very quiet, and has a little bit of a squishy, leveler kind of feel, there's the Aphex units that are fine, the Drawmer 241's which are pretty plain vanilla, not what I would call cheap, but certainly not expensive on the used market.

Then there's things you can do with side chain processing that can completely change the feel and operation of any compressor with this function.

• Members

so I "
rarely
need compression

And therein lays the reason for getting one, and learning how to use it properly, so that when that "rare" moment arrives when you do need one , you have the right tool for the job, and the knowhow to use it properly.

If compressors had zero usefulness whatsoever, they would simply cease to exist.

Bob

• Members

i have two of these:

dbx-163-comp-limiter-1.jpg

they are completely nuts, and one of my favorites. i use them on almost NOTHING because they are quite insane. they work excellent on slap bass and "1980's The Police guitar comp sound".

i believe they are a heavy limiter with an input gain stage. i do not recommend them for the faint of heart but for the adventurous and skilled operator, well you may want something better anyway. but i dig them, i really do.

heres a pic, they are in the middle of the top rack, under the acp-22.

2574156790026985969S425x425Q85.jpg

one of the 266xl's took a dump on me and got pulled. there are no 166xl's in this rack, but there is an old 166. the stuff to the left of the mixwiz3 is all re-racked in actual cases at this point (pic is old).

• Members

just pull it. when i find a rack with behringer comps i just pull them - this after years of trying to get them to do something productive; they do not.

problem with the B comps? they dont do what they say, the knobs are for decoration, the GR meters are useless. they crush the response of the signal.

Hmmm, Jeff Lord Alge uses several racks of Behringer compressors and loves them. Google him if you don't know.

Archived