Flying monitors to use as mains

• Members

We're revamping stuff in the club and they want to fly the mains. Right now we have 2 SRX722's as mains and 2 SRX728's for subs underneath the front of the stage.

We would like to put 2 more 728's under the stage. Then fly the tops. However, instead of flying 2 SRX722's, would I be insane in thinking about flying 4 of the SRX 712M's, then leaving the 722's down on the outer edges of the stage to cover the crowd right in front of the stage?

The only reason I thought of the 712's is because I rather have a 12 cab than a 15 cab like the 715. Plus the owners would like to stick with JBL since we have some touring acts come through and keeping it all one brand seems to ease guys minds. It took me forever to talk them into spending SRX type money in the first place so I's like to stay consistent with them.

I'll post some pics of the club layout tomorrow to make it easier to visualize.

• CMS Author

Just don't attempt to fly anything that isn't specifically rated for flying. The temptation is to simply rationalize it as "it'll be fine". But if anything ever goes wrong in the future, any and all aspects of the rig will be scrutinized, and any and all people involved will be held responsible, or as lawyers love to call it, "negligent".

The right way to do this is to hire a professional engineer to evaluate the club and make specific recommendations and plans.

• Members

There is yoke mounting hardware for flying, but for a pair that would be the wrong orientation IMO.

You could build some custom flying yoke "frames" using the yoke points (you would have to capture both ponts and then use allthread between top and bottom suspension steel) but this is an engineering project to do safely and requires some real work.

This is something I would design for an installation, then run by my structural engineer for his sign-off. Yes, it's doable, but not casually.

• Members

Just don't attempt to fly anything that isn't specifically rated for flying. The temptation is to simply rationalize it as "it'll be fine". But if anything ever goes wrong in the future, any and all aspects of the rig will be scrutinized, and any and all people involved will be held responsible, or as lawyers love to call it, "negligent".

The right way to do this is to hire a professional engineer to evaluate the club and make specific recommendations and plans.

I wouldn't mind getting someone in here but it just isn't going to happen as far as i can tell. At least not unless they find some guy to do a consult for free. And if I guy comes in for nothing that would make me suspect to begin with. I've just gotta roll with the punches that the owners give me and do the best I can.

Archived