Vocal mics

• Members

The only question that I can think of that is more vague than that would be "What's the best vocal mic?" To which the answer is, "It depends." What type of voice does she have?

The SM58 is effectively the work horse/Swiss-army knife of vocal mics.

• Members

Whats the best vocal mic for a female singer? I got a gig doing sound for a jewish female singer with a 5 peice band and choir and was wondering what would be the best vocal mic for her? how would a shure sm58 be?

Hmmm....a jewish female singer? As opposed to a hindu or christian female singer? Is that relevant because she is singing traditional hebrew music, or am I missing something....

At any rate, yes, a sm58 would be fine for any singer.

• Members

I would first check to see if she has a favorite, or something she's more comfortable using.

If she had no preference, and having never heard her before, I would go into the situation with several mics and try them all out (assuming there was time). If there wasn't time, or there is a budget restriction, I'd go into it with an SM58, as I know I could get a decent sound with it and it's likely that she's used one before.

• Members

I look to see what other variables might affect my choice, things such as stage volume and required monitor volume, for instance.

I might look at a Sennheiser 835 or 45, or CAD 189 or 90, or an Aydio Technica AE dynamic as starters. I would also consider an SM-58 because I do not have a fear or loathing of such.

• Members
I've settled on an EV n/d 767a - for my situation was an easy winner over SM58 and Senn e845

The one band I do with their rig has all SM58's. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and started bringing a couple EV N/D767a's for the two female vocalists. Unfortunately I don't think they are gonna let me take them back now that they tried them :love:. Their MixWiz3 is still set up "stock" with the monitor sends pre-eq so their monitors sound a WHOLE lot better with the EV mics :cool:.

• Members

Some ladies have bright voices (Jewel, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne etc)...some have mellow voices ( Karen Carpenter, Gloria Estafa, shania Twain). For the bright vocals...the SM58 will make the vocal sound more mellow and smoother.

For mellow vocals....the Sennheiser E835 will add more brilliance and gives crisper highs. My vocal sound good with E835 as mine is the mellow type (think Olivia Newton John)...no matter how I scream and shout....my voice is still mellow by nature. I will sound very blur and uniteresting with a Sm58.

In a nutshell...find our whether the ladies have bright or mellow vocals....and adjust it from there. There's no '1 mic fits all'.

• Members

Our female (and male) singer sound great on the new EV PL80. We switched from using Beta 58s and the difference is quite noticeable. The PL80 is very clean and crisp sounding with lots of presence without an overly hyped high end. These are great mics.

Archived