Sending USB to two MacBooks

PianoPete

• Members

I am in the process of moving to all computer generated sounds so I can fly to gigs without having to worry if I can get the backline I use. I am considering purchasing the Radial KL-8 to have a redundant system in case MacBook 'A' goes down I can seamlessly switch to MacBook 'B' with a foot switch. That looks like it will work well for switching outs but how would I switch the usb in from my keyboard controller to MacBook 'B' from MacBook 'A'? Is there there such a thing as a usb splitter? I'd rather not have to use a switcher as it's yet another button to press along with the foot switch, another thing that could go wrong, and would take my hands from the keys. So how can I send midi via usb to two Macs simultaneously from one controller?

• Members

They make USB HUBS, which allow you to connect different USB peripheral devices to a single USB port on a computer. They wouldn't work to connect to computers though, and I wouldn't even attempt it. 

To do what you are wanting to do will almost certainly require a manual switch; I wasn't aware that such a box existed until I did a web search, but it does. It specifically mentions that it's intended for your application: sharing the same peripheral between two PCs (or Macs in your case). 

https://www.showmecables.com/usb-manual-button-switch-box-2-way?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-NaJBhDsARIsAAja6dPBQWfn45AX5tcc9v1gnL3RKA6VnkaX1d0BIb4SzffrD8u4rpr0T5EaAnuwEALw_wcB