Flavor of the Day

gardo

• Members

A2C45322-BB08-40D0-8EA3-DE4AC1E32204.thumb.jpeg.5375c93e4bc1ee398f36b2f89b52e7e9.jpeg

Vintage Brand thinline with e fresh set of D’’Addario 11’s . Straight  into a solid state Princeton Chorus using the clean channel. EQed on 10 straight across to give a slight drive ,the reverb is at about 2 . The volume is plenty loud on 1. I needed to wrap the low E to the top of the peg to lessen the break angle. I know they make staggered tuners but prefer the vintage slotted style. 

Edited by gardo
  • Like 2

• Members
12 hours ago, Emory said:

I was strongly considering one of those Vintage thinlines... how you like it?

It’s a pretty one and arrived well set up needing only tuning; The fret worrk was great. it seems like there was some sort of coating or something  in the jack,after a shot of contact claner it sounded much better. The neck had an unfinished feel that some people pefer. I don't so I treated it with Orange Glo . This not only enhanced the grain but gives that smooth feel i like.The neck feels pretty good now and the nut is wider than some of the Squiers but I would prefer a little more thickness .  The beauty of playing is with both pickups. The bridge is not as  twangy as others but blends well with the mini.  It does  not have full size pots but I wouldn't notice if I didn't look.  I don't completely  understand the wiring. The neck seems to have the in wires gronded and the grounds on the switch. I do know that hum has never been a problem.  It is not a Custom Shop and does not have the same quality feel of one , it's more like some of the  Fenders that ae  also made in  Indonesia. I don't think it's a printed paper veneer because the grain pattern does change when I turn it in the light.  I wanted a thinline with a neck mini and there are not many out there. Overall I like it quite a bit especially for the money

Edited by gardo
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I love that orange burst color.  Does it have an actual wavy maple top?  If so maple it should resonate pretty good through that F hole. 

The mini humbucker is a good touch too.

I have three Tele's. One is semi hollow and has a pair of mini HB's which is my favorite for recording. 

The other two are standard Tele builds.  I plan on putting a full sized HB in one of them to get a Keith Richards tone.  I'm simply waiting till one needs a strings change. I Have and Epi DOT HB which Is a lower output 57 style alnico II pickup. Its likely to get clean tones like the staggered pole fender pickups do.  I had the leftovers when I put 59 style Alnico 5's in my DOT.  They were the ideal pickups for changing it from a Clean/Jazz tone to Rock. The 59 in a tele is likely too hot to match a bridge single. I suspect Richards has a hotter HB which created a balance issues. He tried to combat the problem using a hot wound pedal steel pickup in the bridge.  There's a big question on wiring too.  The best I was able to derive, he uses Esquire wiring with a blend pot which is pretty wild.  He uses the second tone pot as a HB blend instead of a variable tone and the switch turns on different caps.   New Tele's simply run the pickups in parallel with the switch centered. It relies on the output and pickup height to get a balance.  I already put higher output pups in my Tele's so a cooler HP will likely give me a balance.  Hopefully I can keep it that simple.  I hate making poor mod choices. Its better when you choose the right stuff the first time.

Sorry to drone on here.  If I only had two guitars to choose from it would be a Tele and a Les Paul. The pair cover just about anything you need tone wise.    

Anyway, good luck with that one. 

• Thanks 1

• Members
10 hours ago, WRGKMC said:

I love that orange burst color.  Does it have an actual wavy maple top?  If so maple it should resonate pretty good through that F hole. 

The mini humbucker is a good touch too.

I have three Tele's. One is semi hollow and has a pair of mini HB's which is my favorite for recording. 

The other two are standard Tele builds.  I plan on putting a full sized HB in one of them to get a Keith Richards tone.  I'm simply waiting till one needs a strings change. I Have and Epi DOT HB which Is a lower output 57 style alnico II pickup. Its likely to get clean tones like the staggered pole fender pickups do.  I had the leftovers when I put 59 style Alnico 5's in my DOT.  They were the ideal pickups for changing it from a Clean/Jazz tone to Rock. The 59 in a tele is likely too hot to match a bridge single. I suspect Richards has a hotter HB which created a balance issues. He tried to combat the problem using a hot wound pedal steel pickup in the bridge.  There's a big question on wiring too.  The best I was able to derive, he uses Esquire wiring with a blend pot which is pretty wild.  He uses the second tone pot as a HB blend instead of a variable tone and the switch turns on different caps.   New Tele's simply run the pickups in parallel with the switch centered. It relies on the output and pickup height to get a balance.  I already put higher output pups in my Tele's so a cooler HP will likely give me a balance.  Hopefully I can keep it that simple.  I hate making poor mod choices. Its better when you choose the right stuff the first time.

Sorry to drone on here.  If I only had two guitars to choose from it would be a Tele and a Les Paul. The pair cover just about anything you need tone wise.    

Anyway, good luck with that one. 

Thanks 

The top is a maple veneer over what I think is alder, I wish it was a maple cap. The mini is meatier than a standard single coil which I like. I have other teles with SC pickups so this gives a different tone option.
By the way, welcome back it’s been a while since you stopped by.