What happened here?!?

JC Bass

• Members

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Where have you been? This place (Harmony Central in general, not just the bass sub-forum) has been a ghost town for several years. I think it was about 10 (?) or so years ago that there was an "extended outage" of the forum due to new forum software being implemented. Then several other forum shutdowns that lasted days at a time. Between those and the rise of Facebook, participation here fell off a cliff. 

There have been some ownership changes too, it was recently owned by Gibson, not I believe it's owned by Sweetwater Music. Forum founder Craig Anderton and longtime head honcho/moderator Phil have departed.

For bass guitar/upright bass forum-ing, I'd recommend Talkbass; they're still pretty active. Some of the other forums seem to have small (very small)  groups of regulars that hang out. 

• Members
19 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Where have you been? This place (Harmony Central in general, not just the bass sub-forum) has been a ghost town for several years. I think it was about 10 (?) or so years ago that there was an "extended outage" of the forum due to new forum software being implemented. Then several other forum shutdowns that lasted days at a time. Between those and the rise of Facebook, participation here fell off a cliff. 

There have been some ownership changes too, it was recently owned by Gibson, not I believe it's owned by Sweetwater Music. Forum founder Craig Anderton and longtime head honcho/moderator Phil have departed.

For bass guitar/upright bass forum-ing, I'd recommend Talkbass; they're still pretty active. Some of the other forums seem to have small (very small)  groups of regulars that hang out. 

Where have I been? Well...bandless for years, focused on getting my kids through school, lost both my parents and didn't even touch my bass for the last four years after they died. I recently picked it back up and joined a new band that is just starting out. I remembered all the fun I used to have on this forum and wanted to check it out. Please excuse that I didn't read through years of posts and apparently my search-function-foo was weak. 

Thank you for letting me know. A shame really...

2 hours ago, lug said:

Jive happened.

You can also find several older members over at ebassist.com.  

Still have a bunch of MP3s of your playing. I pull them out every so often and listen to them. Serious groove, there. 🙂

I may hop over to Talkbass and EBassist. I think I still have accounts at both. Just remember that I never seemed to have as much fun over there as I did here. 

Oh well...to all good things there must come an end. 

• Members

Wait. You listen to my mp3's? On purpose?  I don't give out a lot of advice but in this case I'll make an exception.  Seek professional help immediately! I will pray for you in the mean time. :(

• Haha 2

• Members
On 8/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, lug said:

Wait. You listen to my mp3's? On purpose?  I don't give out a lot of advice but in this case I'll make an exception.  Seek professional help immediately! I will pray for you in the mean time. :(

Yeah, yeah....I just listen to them to remind myself that I'm not as bad as I think I am. 😂

Same old lug. 😁

37 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

The kids grew up and moved out of the house.

Music is dead, everyone what's to be a gamer now.

I am proud to say that my 21 year old son is a bass player. Started playing bass with the jazz band in high school his freshman year. By the time he graduated, he was grooving quite well! I was VERY proud of him! 

You are right though, it just doesn't seem like anyone actually WANTS to PLAY music anymore.

• Members
19 minutes ago, JC Bass said:

Yeah, yeah....I just listen to them to remind myself that I'm not as bad as I think I am. 😂

Same old lug. 😁

I am proud to say that my 21 year old son is a bass player. Started playing bass with the jazz band in high school his freshman year. By the time he graduated, he was grooving quite well! I was VERY proud of him! 

You are right though, it just doesn't seem like anyone actually WANTS to PLAY music anymore.

:philthumb:

• Thanks 1

• Members
21 hours ago, JC Bass said:

Same old lug. 😁

We all have a calling. You now know mine. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...