Jump to content

CL free pile amp


gardo
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted (edited)

Okay I saw the ad and had to look. The ad says working so let’s go.

Came home with a Traynor reverb mate 40. I have no experience with these but it was free. The power switch is broken but that should be an easy fix. I noticed it had 2 speakers , I think 8“ so I don’t expect much. .It even has 2 jacks for line out if I want to test that sound guy we talked about.

2CC4BCF2-C983-4E17-9E55-6D969F9DEE45.thumb.jpeg.7fc440eb58bc6b884f333a7dfafb3190.jpeg23AAEA58-6ED0-4D4F-BC1C-78EE397FB630.thumb.jpeg.215e8bb6dacb078199f89a429a6c5658.jpeg

It’s in the back of my truck covered with plastic until I get a chance to check for bugs etc.

Sometime tomorrow I’ll check it out 

Edited by gardo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Probably a STEREO amp with STEREO chorus!!! Probably has a glorious clean tone. 

 

You may be right . I haven’t tried it out yet.

Right now it’s disassembled for cleaning 

It looks just like a scaled down version of my Princeton Chorus, which is kind of cool 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

It's got a line out too.

2 of them, so now you sound guy can run your set up in stereo. 

 

It's a win-win.

Remember the Fender Champ tweed  has a 8" speaker. Look at what Clapton did with that amp.

 

I have a Gibson Les Paul Jr  with an 8" speaker and it rawks.

I think I paid 200 bucks for it new.

eup4a7slxvajpvzdwrjw.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I disassembled the amp and cleaned it up also replaced the power switch with one from the parts bin .

No issues ,everything seems to work as it should. It sounds OK with an ES 335 type at low volume with a little edge.

8CCBD50A-9290-4145-9B61-AD5C38563B19.thumb.jpeg.0a3796b5c9ea3ffa100c393eb7cc8915.jpeg3A78FCD5-0684-4CB2-A77A-3293D2052E04.thumb.jpeg.c9b3746e40b03159cf17798f3884d7f6.jpeg0907201A-7191-4554-891E-5A52497B62A6.thumb.jpeg.c3842c02ab6ce469680fe12ff10857e3.jpegIt really does look like a scaled down Princeton Chorus . 

Not sure if it’s a keeper though 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Looks like it's 20 Watts X2 so don't expect a whole lot. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/traynor-trm40-reverb-mate-40-combo-amp Still, free is free. Congratulations and Happy New (Free) Amp Day. :thu:

My everyday amp is only 26 watts X 2 with 10” speakers  and has plenty of power. This Traynor can’t compete for clean sound but does get a nice rock tone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
22 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Probably a STEREO amp with STEREO chorus!!! Probably has a glorious clean tone. 

 

It actually is a stereo amp with good cleans at low volume . The trick seems to be to get the amp up off the floor to let the sound fill the area

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The Princeton has a phone jack out.

Get an a/b/y box and run both amps at the same time.

Mess with the sound guys head. Send him right to a shrink, on a fat military section 8.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
41 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

The Princeton has a phone jack out.

Get an a/b/y box and run both amps at the same time.

Mess with the sound guys head. Send him right to a shrink, on a fat military section 8.

 

 

 

I always wanted a second Princeton. They can be run as a master/slave with the effects loop I think 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 minutes ago, gardo said:

I always wanted a second Princeton. They can be run as a master/slave with the effects loop I think 

I have a Blackface Princeton RI. It kind of is what it is.

Getting kind of pricey they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, Mikeo said:

I have a Blackface Princeton RI. It kind of is what it is.

Getting kind of pricey they are.

great amps , but I wasn’t referring to a real Princeton. I like the solid state Princeton Chorus amps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, gardo said:

great amps , but I wasn’t referring to a real Princeton. I like the solid state Princeton Chorus amps

I know you weren't.

It was a very over used name for Fender.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
37 minutes ago, gardo said:

Mustang is also becoming a sub brand of amps

Yep

Fender once gave me some solid state amp free for buying a American Strat.

I sold the amp. Stiill have the Strat.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

Yep

Fender once gave me some solid state amp free for buying a American Strat.

I sold the amp. Stiill have the Strat.

 

 

 

Free is good 

All they gave me was a free gig bag when I bought a Mexican Strat

Traded the gig bag for a couple Beheringer pedals and some cables

I use one of the cables every day. The pedals are on the shelf 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Just now, gardo said:

Free is good 

All they gave me was a free gig bag when I bought a Mexican Strat

Traded the gig bag for a couple Beheringer pedals and some cables

I use one of the cables every day. The pedals are on the shelf 

 

I never used a Beheringer anything.

I use Mogami cable when I plug in. George L's on my pedal board.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Mikeo said:

I never used a Beheringer anything.

I use Mogami cable when I plug in. George L's on my pedal board.

 

 

The cable is Fender. Plugged straight into the amp it sounds as good as my Mogami 

Either way I had no use for the gig bag , only hard casas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
32 minutes ago, gardo said:

The cable is Fender. Plugged straight into the amp it sounds as good as my Mogami 

Either way I had no use for the gig bag , only hard casas

My Taylor GS mini's came in a Taylor gig bag. They are now in SBK cases made exclusively for the GS mini. The gig bags I put in the attic.  They are no Cali girl case, but are very protective.;)

GSMiniSKB-large.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I talked to an old friend the other day who has had some struggles in life. He told me he’s just been playing acoustic these days . I t seems his amp died and he’s been unable to replace it.  I’m planning a trip up his way in a few weeks to pass this amp along to him so he can get his Strat out again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Happy free used solid state Canadian/Chinese stereo amplifier day!:thu:

Traynor has a history of copying Fender circuit designs going way back to the 60s, so I would guess they dissected the Fender Princeton Chorus amp to create that one. My first actual bass amp was a Traynor, but a real Canadian tube amp, with a Yorkville speaker.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Mikeo said:

I never used a Beheringer anything....

For years, my motto was 'Friends don't let friends use Behringer.' Then they slapped the 'B' word on their high-end mixers, which are actually quite good, and a number of venues I have played around SoCal use them. I have since amended the motto to 'Friends don't let friends use cheap Behringer pedals or Bugera* amps.'😉

 

*several years ago, an acquaintance brought me a 5W Bugera with a mystery problem. The warranty had expired a few months before. After examining the amp, I was appalled at the terrible workmanship: wires hot melted to the chassis, untrimmed solder leads, exposed/uninsulated AC wires...I eventually came to the conclusion that the Output Transformer had an internal short. How? I don't know...but an OEM OT was not available, and I was unable to match an equivalent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

Happy free used solid state Canadian/Chinese stereo amplifier day!:thu:

Traynor has a history of copying Fender circuit designs going way back to the 60s, so I would guess they dissected the Fender Princeton Chorus amp to create that one. My first actual bass amp was a Traynor, but a real Canadian tube amp, with a Yorkville speaker.

For years, my motto was 'Friends don't let friends use Behringer.' Then they slapped the 'B' word on their high-end mixers, which are actually quite good, and a number of venues I have played around SoCal use them. I have since amended the motto to 'Friends don't let friends use cheap Behringer pedals or Bugera* amps.'😉

 

*several years ago, an acquaintance brought me a 5W Bugera with a mystery problem. The warranty had expired a few months before. After examining the amp, I was appalled at the terrible workmanship: wires hot melted to the chassis, untrimmed solder leads, exposed/uninsulated AC wires...I eventually came to the conclusion that the Output Transformer had an internal short. How? I don't know...but an OEM OT was not available, and I was unable to match an equivalent.

JHS pedals did a video saying that many boutique pedal builders actually get their chips from Beheringer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...