• Members

Sorry to ask more Qns about my speaker purchases... i want to get this right, and i enjoy trawling website for ideas, and they all leave me with more qns.

Have had a bit of advice, and seen advice given to others, to favour a 12 inch speaker over a 15 inch when working with subs.

I am wondering though, will this compromise on overall volume.

I'm currently in the process of stepping down from 2 x 2x15inch cheap speakers (JRX/SF) per side, to one speaker for the mid highs.

So i'm conscious that there will be a step down in volume, and i need to make that step down as small as possible.

JBL claim with PRX, that the 512/515 both hit 133db. I'm sure thats not real world, but presume they have been measured by the same standard.

Does that sound right? The 12 is 8 kg lighter and A$250 a box less? Why would anyone buy a 515? (strangely, the MRX 512/515 cost the same price).

Use is for with subs, (currently 2x18s a side), to mic a full rock/party/whoever else asks me band. Not intending to hit 120db or anything, but solid volumes.

I look at the 512 and it looks too small. Now, i know thats not the real measurement. But every "semi pro" i see, uses 15s over subs.

Also, and relatedly, to what extent will the step up in quality to MRX/PRX compensate for the loss in overall size and watts from the JRX/SF series?

• Members

I am wondering though, will this compromise on overall volume.

I seriously doubt that you're going to notice a drastic difference between a switch from JRX 125's to MRX 512's. Taking into account the added durability of the 512's and the imporved sound quality, this would definitely be an upgrade.

JBL claim with PRX, that the 512/515 both hit 133db. I'm sure thats not real world, but presume they have been measured by the same standard.

Does that sound right? The 12 is 8 kg lighter and A$250 a box less? Why would anyone buy a 515? (strangely, the MRX 512/515 cost the same price).

Yes.

Can't tell you why they're priced differently.

The 15 will have a wider frequency response... this benefit is, IMO, negated when using subs, but useful when running without them.

Also, and relatedly, to what extent will the step up in quality to MRX/PRX compensate for the loss in overall size and watts from the JRX/SF series?

Substantially. Wattage means very little when comparing speakers from completely different classes as you are doing now. The MRX/PRX is leaps and bounds beyond what the JRX's are. Not to mention, going from a JRX 125 to an MRX 512m means about 1/3 less weight.

• Members

A good 12" cabinet can be LOUDER than a so-so 15" cabinet. It's all about optimizing the output over a specific bandwidth, and the MRX-12's do a better job IMO, and the PRX has the added advantage of what the engineers programmed for you, better than you could possibly hope to achieve IMO.

• Members

If I understood correctly, you are currently running two JRX125 per side. These are 90 degree boxes and are not intended for arraying. 40 or 60 degree would be more suitable for running two per side. Your current setup would overlap so much that the additional combing caused by it would reduce even coverage below what a single JRX125 per side could accomplish. As a test, try 1 JRX per side at the next gig. After that, go out and rent a PRX or MRX and test them at a gig.

Dennis

• Members

Arraying of 90 degree horns is not necessicarily going to lead to detrimental comb filterig effect... it's a possibility but in practice isn't going to usually be a problem for these kinds of applications IME.

There are some instances where this can indeed be a problem, but in practice not usually a big deal at these levels and with the x-over frequencies these smaller boxes run with. At 800-1200Hz, there is a more significant effect.

• Members

Actually, last gig (i dont use this system very much) i did try using only one box a side (used the older SFs, which i think are better than the newer JRXs). And, yes - it probably did sound every bit as loud. Always hard to say cos there are variables etc in terms of the environment and volume aimed for.

If i knew anyone renting PRX and MRXs, i'd be all over it... but i don't. Cos i'd really like to test them side by side.

Archived