Crate mixer

• Members

My drummer has a Crate 8-channel powered mixer (model PCM-8+) had he's had for some time. We don't use it for our band but he does use it with his bluegrass band. I've never been impressed with Crate stuff and this one's no prize.....the XLR input jacks are pulling out/falling apart and only a few of them still work. I told him I'd replace them if I could find parts.....anyone have a good source where I might find jacks? I haven't yet disassembled it but I'm pretty sure they're PC-mounted.

• Members

Depends entirely on what's original on them. Neutrik may not fit or work on that mixer. Take a photo, I may be anble to identify the make/model of the jacks. I may have some in stock but that depends on the style used. They are not interchangable for the most part.

• Members
  • Members

Guys, there's no way to tell what PC mounted jack will work... there are probably 50 different footprints and shell style orientations. We don't even know it it is Neutrik.

OEM parts are a whole different can of worms. This is what I do for a living.

I hadn't thought of that before I posted. I couldn't find a good enough picture to see if the jacks are marked to indicate thier brand.

Good luck getting parts out of Crate!

• Members

I have an old Audio centron passive mixer with the plastic-like XLR inputs and from some of the guys using cheap, poorly formed or chewed up mic cable ends it has pulled the centers out of the XLR input jacks on a few. Occasionally I have to open it up, stick the center back in carefully(making sure it feeds back into the board and hit the backside with a soldering gun to secure them again.

• Members

I hadn't thought of that before I posted. I couldn't find a good enough picture to see if the jacks are marked to indicate thier brand.

Good luck getting parts out of Crate!

I'm sure there are plenty of them around if you can find the right person. A good starting point might be the owners/makers of Reason Amps. www.reasonamps.com They worked for the company and designed the Vintage Club, Palomino, and V-Series amps.

• Members

I've got a Crate PCM8DP powered mixer that I purchased in the early 90's. I have had no problems with it. For the first five years I used it weekly for small club gigs with no issues....then my PA expanded by leaps and bounds.

Since then, I have used it sparingly (most recently this past July) for speaking events. I always find room for it in my truck when I'm providing sound.

Mike M

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I have a Crate mixer that i have been looking for faders for and i called my local repair place and they told me that crate had sold out to another company and they no longer had parts for the board i was looking for and i called the crate company. and i really needed these for my board. So Crate looks like it's out of the picture.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

If you still have the 3 pin inserts (sounds like they are lost), they can possibly just be re-soldered into place. Be aware that PC mounted XLR's that have failed by physically falling apart may have also done damage to the circuit board underneath (either broken traces or even cracked the board). This fix can be tricky as alignment is crucial (and mis-aligned pins will put undue strain on the solder joint and just fail again soon). It's one of the things that makes them sort of a throw away piece of gear. OTOH I have seen this technique used in some pricey boards (I know Soundtrax boards were constructed this way). IMO it's not a very solid build concept (Hey Brit gear (although sounding great) never has been known for it's durability :-).

just some thoughts

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Is anyone familiar with crates PCM-6 powered mixer? It's cutting out intermittently and comes back on after I tap the mic or yell into it. Tried another channel, cable, mic. It needs an audio signal to come back up again. Ready to trash it! Never been dropped or abused either.

Archived