Sub positioning

• Members

I've just acquired some subs and was wondering if anyone had any advice about positioning them. I understand that the sub bass frequencies aren't directional like upper frequencies so I'm guessing that leaves me with more leeway on where I put them?

Specific issues:

• Members

The following attachments are predictions of coverage for dual 18 subs (which will act similar to single 18s).

The first is a single sub, the second is 2 subs coupling and the third is a sub on either side of the stage (about 25 feet apart). you will notice this third shot does not look like smooth coverage because the position of the two subs causes cancellations. To keep it simple, no boundaries were factored in. This is what coverage would be in an open field.

dennis

• Members

Ideal single or dual sub placement would be front center of the stage. If that can't happen, either side will work. Maybe one top on a stand and the other pole mounted on the sub for a single.

You might want to consider crossing over at closer to 100 Hz. 150 sounds a little high to me.

• Members

The crossover is built into the amp and is not adjustable, so for the time being at least, 150Hz is what I'm stuck with.

When you say put both subs centre stage, is that side by side or stacked? If side by side is it advisable to have a gap between them or is touching OK?

• Members

You can see from those simulations, that a fair amount of sub energy is projected back onto the stage as well. Our lead singer who stands DSC isn't real fond of being swamped in sub energy, while the bass player at DSR doesn't mind at all. So I usually wind up putting the subs off center in small venues.

It's also worth paying attention to where your boundary's (walls etc.) are in small venues as additions and cancelations can come into play. A good rule of thumb to avoid cancellation issues is to have your subs closer than 3' or further than 8' from the nearest boundary.

Winston

Archived