looking to upgrade Pv 118d sub

• Members

Hi, I have 2 PV 118d powered subs. I use Mackie Srm 450 tops.  I play in a rock band and all Instruments are modeled/no amps/ electronic drums.  It's mixed on an XAir 16.  

I'm looking at the RCF sub 705as-mk2 . Will this be an upgrade as i'm going down in sub size.  I listened to some Ev subs at GC and wasn't impressed. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc

• Members
On 7/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, Mbergmueller said:

Hi, I have 2 PV 118d powered subs. I use Mackie Srm 450 tops.  I play in a rock band and all Instruments are modeled/no amps/ electronic drums.  It's mixed on an XAir 16.  

I'm looking at the RCF sub 705as-mk2 . Will this be an upgrade as i'm going down in sub size.  I listened to some Ev subs at GC and wasn't impressed. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc

The Peavey has a Peak spl of 119 db's. The RCF has a peak output of 131db's. Most people feel if a source is 10 db's louder it is twice as loud. That is quite a step up. 2 of the Peavey subs placed side by side will give you a total of 125db peak output. ( 3 db's for twice the surface area of the cones and 3 db's for twice the wattage ) 1 RCF will be louder than 2 of the peaveys all things being equal. The peavey's are good subs but the RCF's are quite a step up. 2 RCF's placed side by side will give you around 137 db's. If your using the peavey's the best output will be with them coupled/placed side by side. Either in the center of the stage or both on 1 side or the other. 

• Like 1

• Members
8 hours ago, Mbergmueller said:

thanks for the reply. i think i'm going for the rcf 18" instead only slightly more money. your thoughts?

They have a couple different powered 18's. Which one are you thinking of? I'm guessing this one https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/product-detail/sub-708-as-ii/233982  regardless it has about 2 db's more output and I'm betting a deeper overall tone. Your tops may start to struggle to keep up but having too much is easy to turn down and easy to have should you be outside. Up to you if the additional output and weight is worth it.  As a side note I've been looking at the 18's to replace my Yorkville Ls801pb's just to save weight and they are smaller also. I've heard good about both the 15 and 18.

EDIT:   

As a side note 1 of these may be enough if your getting by with 2 of the Peavey's  ;-)   https://www.americanmusical.com/rcf-sub-8004as-2500-watt-active-18-subwoofer/p/RCF-SUB8004AS?

Edited by Dookietwo