Humidity Control

gardo

• Members
  • Members
On 8/1/2021 at 8:09 AM, garthman said:

I don't know.

I don't humidify any of my guitars - never have done - and a couple are 50+ years old. They sit on stands or hang on walls in my non-airconditioned house and endure whatever conditions the UK weather provides.

Thanks,  I once felt the same way but then had an Aria 12 string develop a crack on the  top. I got it repaired under warranty but it was neve  quite the same, to me  at least. 

Perhaps it was just a cheap guitar to start with but I don’t chance it anymore.

• Members
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 8/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, gardo said:

Thanks,  I once felt the same way but then had an Aria 12 string develop a crack on the  top. I got it repaired under warranty but it was neve  quite the same, to me  at least. 

Perhaps it was just a cheap guitar to start with but I don’t chance it anymore.

I think it very much depends on where you live. If I lived in the Arizona desert I'd probably use a hygrometer but here in the UK the relative humidity is usually 70%+ which seems to suit guitars well.

• Members
6 hours ago, garthman said:

I think it very much depends on where you live. If I lived in the Arizona desert I'd probably use a hygrometer but here in the UK the relative humidity is usually 70%+ which seems to suit guitars well.

It must be a fairly mild climate go you. The house here gets very dry over the winter when the heat is on. We use a heat pump which is a dry heat. It may go to 30 percent so I add humidity 

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 8/1/2021 at 5:09 AM, garthman said:

I don't know.

I don't humidify any of my guitars - never have done - and a couple are 50+ years old. They sit on stands or hang on walls in my non-airconditioned house and endure whatever conditions the UK weather provides.

What I've found is that humidifying and hydrating when it comes to tone is a balance. To dry she turns brittle. To wet she gets dull. Somewhere in between is the goal.

Edited by GUITPICKER1

• Members
On 1/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, BeeLectro said:

The Humidy pack probably works well. I cut holes in a Ziploc bag and put a small wet spong inside. Tuck it in by the headstock in the case. No problems so far, and the sponge doesn't get moldy. Have been using this method for years.

That’s just what I ended up doing too, simple and effective 

• Moderators
On 1/21/2023 at 5:17 AM, BeeLectro said:

The Humidy pack probably works well. I cut holes in a Ziploc bag and put a small wet spong inside. Tuck it in by the headstock in the case. No problems so far, and the sponge doesn't get moldy. Have been using this method for years.

along the same line, [I used to, and I know mikeo also does this] get one of those travel soap holders, drill half a dozen or so small holes in the top, and put the damp sponge in.

• Like 1