woot lets comp/limit

• Members

So I was wondering what everyone limits/gates/comp in their band. Vocals?

Elec and acous guitars? Bass guitar? all the drums? keyboards?

The sound man singing in the back?

Someone told me today they are starting to put compressors on the sub masters and indiv channels on mixer. Never heard of doin both, lol never heard of using compressors on submasters. what you do?

• Members

Whatever is necessary or helps me build an appropriate mix within the context of the venue I am working and the style of music I am working with.

Some consoles have had comps & gates on unput channels for 15 years, and eq on groups and outs for even longer than that. Real pro products.

• Members

Rockmetal bands I compress the kick a little, maybe the snare a tad also. I very rarely compress vocals unless I have to, more limiting. I tend to lean towards heavy gating for the kit. Every show is different, mmm every song is different.

Experiment and testing on the fly is what we have to do.

• Members

I'm playing with an inexperienced singer at the moment and the level of his voice varies quite a bit depending on how easy he finds it to sing a particular passage. I was thinking of trying a compressor on his channel to try and make the vocal "drop out" less noticeable. Is this a good idea? Any tips on settings?

I'll be using a Joe Meek MQ3 http://www.joemeek.com/pdf/mq3qhb.pdf that I bought for home studio use, if successful I may invest in a dbx 166XL.

• Members

You won't know if it helps until you try it on his channel. Beware of using it if his channel also feeds the monitors since compression in monitors on loud stages is not a good thing generally (there can always be exceptions.) Sounds more appropriate to work on his mic technique in this situation.

• Members

I'll give it a go and try not to be too extreme with it. If it ain't working or is causing problems with the monitoring I can just switch it off. I think maybe as our PA gets upgraded and he can hear better what he's doing he'll be able to learn to use the mic more effectively and create his own "compression". I think a lot of it is down to confidence too.

• Members

The sound man singing in the back?

Funny you mention this, there is a local band where their BE is also a harmony singer. Stands in the back of the room at FOH with a vocal mic and sings/mixes all night. Got a pretty nice voice too, occasionally he gets up on stage and sings lead a song or two.

• Members

Funny you mention this, there is a local band where their BE is also a harmony singer. Stands in the back of the room at FOH with a vocal mic and sings/mixes all night.

There was a local band that I saw where the guy at the board also played a guitar with a Roland synth module providing horns and keys throughout the night. Looked strange to see him off stage with a guitar strapped to him. It actually sounded pretty good though.

Archived