Danley SH-LPM floor monitor.

• Members

This is what a REALLY want, but my wallet won't let me. (well,,,,, maybe)

Coaxial to boot.

Radian sold this design to EAW. If you want one for half the price not built by Loud Inc. get one of these:

http://www.radianaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26995&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40

• Members

I've used those Danley wedges for a couple shows (I work for a dealer). They sound great, very hi-fi. The woofer is only 8", though. So don't even think about putting kick or bass guitar through them, or even a lot of bottom from a male vocal. But if those limitations aren't a problem then it's a great wedge. Very clear on the top end, and easy to carry around.

• Members

Thanks for that Scodiddly,

I'm actually looking for a floor wedge that can be used for acoustic-guitar solo or duo performance. Natuarally, I'd prefer something that's capable of high resolution, but I'm not sure what other characteristics I should be looking for. On paper at least, that Danley looks just about ideal. I'm somewhat familiar with the concept of the "synergy horn", since this is the same technology used in the Yorkville U15p loudspeaker. (Danley design/liscenced to Yorkville)'

The biggest surprise for me with this unit, is the apparent dispersion. According to the product literature, you can walk around a bit, and still hear the monitor reasonably well. Sounds ideal for a situation where you have an acoustic guitar duo gathered around a single vocal mic, or perhaps, two mics set reasonably close (3 feet or so), with a single wedge aimed between the mics. (perhaps angling the rear of the mics slightly inward, toward the monitor) FOH would be handled by a pair of NX55p's.

For very intimate venues/crowds (40-60 max), and where ultra-portability is desired, I'd be using a single AER Compact 60/2 combo amp for FOH, and had thought of using one of these; ($900.)

http://www.sheehans.com/acoustic-guitars/showrooms/aer-amps#other

AER AG-8 (8' co-axial/60w).

• Members

+1 for the Clair 12AM's.

I played at an outdoor festival just over a year ago that had the 12AM's as the only stage monitor. They used them for keys, vocals and drums. Very smooth, very flat sounding. Beyer M88 mics right across the board too. Nice to have an M88 on my guitar amp!

Of course the company that did the show (Audio Image Canada) has worked with Cold Play, Tom Petty... guess they need something better than a BR12:) Nice to have an M88 on my guitar amp!

EDIT - Found a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVkSbv30kE

• Members

Zeromus-X, What the heck is it? :poke::lol:

Actually, I'm dead serious about buying a high-end monitor. I've been agonizing over which monitor to go with, for about 2 years now The ultra-portable AER AG-8 is somewhat appealing, especially considering the vocal quality, but it's very limited in scope. Resale would be "iffy" at best. For an ultra-portable set-up, I'm thinking it may be wiser to buy a second AER Compact 60/2 combo-amp instead of the AG-8, and use that as my monitor. That would cost me only $100. more. ($1k.)

Another possibility, would be to use my current Compact 60/2 as a monitor, and buy a 4-channel AER Domino combo-amp for FOH. While the amp is larger (44 lbs), it would eliminate the need for a mixer. The AER Domino is around $1400. (latest version 2, is $1800.)

http://dreamguitars.stores.yahoo.net/aerdomino2.html

Bob

• Members

It's an EAW SM400iH. We played a stage that had about a dozen of them, and I had two for drum monitors, one on each side of me. I made the mistake of asking for "everything louder than everything else" to the monitor engineer. I hit my kick and nearly fell off the riser. If you could zoom in on the video of me playing that gig, you'd see my hair moving on bass drum hits.

Archived