Trouble w/Badass Type Wraparound??

ksl

• Members

Good eve' all~  I just got a great guitar that has this beautiful & big adjustable wraparound, in GOLD!,, but it seems like the design of this tailpiece is such that there's no great, distinct angle of the string where it rests in the saddle.. Things sound kinda like my action is set too low, which it's not, & it's a bit muffled, & upon closer inspection, the strings are not seated firmly & again, there's no great angle... Does it sound as if my prognosis is on the money? I see other bridges for sale like the Gotoh 510UB that see. to have slightly higher Saddles & may work out better?..

Thnx in advance for your thoughts. 

🕉🎶

• Members

Good eve' all~  I just got a great guitar that has this beautiful & big adjustable wraparound, in GOLD!,, but it seems like the design of this tailpiece is such that there's no great, distinct angle of the string where it rests in the saddle.. Things sound kinda like my action is set too low, which it's not, & it's a bit muffled, & upon closer inspection, the strings are not seated firmly & again, there's no great angle... Does it sound as if my prognosis is on the money? I see other bridges for sale like the Gotoh 510UB that seem to have slightly higher Saddles & may work out better?..

Here's the best shot I can manage, but it hints to my point,,, I wonder if also swimming the bridge to sit mire level on the posts would help, or am I just better off w/a different bridge altogether?
Thnx again all~

Screenshot_20210702-110154_Gallery.jpg

Edited by ksl

• Moderators

[Merged both threads]

is it an actual Leo Quan, or a knockoff? I have had zero issues with my LQBAB on my '62 melody maker, and it has been on there over forty years. I remember reading that they were designed intentionally to sit low to help with keeping the action height lower...compared to the Gibson uncompensated and 'semi' compensated wraparounds of the 50s and 60s.

Shimming it may help,:idk: depends what you are trying to get it to do...sit level? Sit higher? Sit tilted more?

A clearer pic would be helpful...

• Members

JTR654, & all, thnx, & which brands are out there that might have a tighter fit,, Gotoh, a Schaller, or what have you ? 

I thinking very strong of getting the right thickness washer, cutting it in half & slipping them under to alleviate the tilt, perhaps give me a better angle over the Saddles,, & perhaps get a reverse tilt going...? I'll try for a better shot, much better 🤔

If I knew what I was doing, I'd attempt to slightly file the Grooves to add to downward angle towards the backside of each groove...???

thnx again 

• Members

I have a Tonepros wrap around, and while I hate it for needing stupid tools that destroy a finish, it sits perfectly with no buzz from it. I have a Wilkenson on another guitar, that does buzz a hint. I just haven't made the effort to shim it yet.