Roadworn Guitars & The Posers Within Us

• Members
Posted (edited)

I remember as a teenager when denim jeans came out with the worn in look.. I instantly recoiled as I felt that one of the coolest things you could do with denim was to wear it in naturally.

Around the same time new fender guitars started showing up with these confusing finishes that provided a player with a pre worn look to show off.. I felt against this even more than my beloved denim betrayal given that a worn finish comes after decades of playing and not looking after your instrument :)

I think it's cooler to look after your stuff and that any accidental cosmetic wear should be minimized.. I mean you wouldn't buy a car with scratched up doors and rusty chrome but when it comes to guitars it seems we are content on this phony look.

Anyway just some musings that am sure have been better worded and thread thrashed here a bunch.. yet here i am complaining :)

How come roadworn pedals aren't a thing?.. roadworn amps?.. I guess guitars are the more visual aspect of a stage performance.

Think i'll keep storing my guitars carefully. I have a few that I want to see how long I can keep them immaculate.. Another kind of anal right there :)

phillip philington - YouTube

Edited by macken_nz
  • Like 1

• macken_nz changed the title to Roadworn Guitars & The Posers Within Us
  • Members

It's just personal taste. My Strat has decades of wear from my hands, but I don't personally go out of my way to make it look worn.

I can't hate on people that like the look of aged stuff. Even if it's simulated age, why does that bug some people so much? It's entertainment and art, which carries an element of illusion. Just look at the wigs on all the old rockers.

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

It's just personal taste. My Strat has decades of wear from my hands, but I don't personally go out of my way to make it look worn.

I can't hate on people that like the look of aged stuff. Even if it's simulated age, why does that bug some people so much? It's entertainment and art, which carries an element of illusion. Just look at the wigs on all the old rockers.

I think in a nutshell it bugs people because it's pretentious and phony. Maybe i've been watching too many Stolen Valor videos though :)

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, macken_nz said:

I think in a nutshell it bugs people because it's pretentious and phony. Maybe i've been watching too many Stolen Valor videos though :)

I don't lose sleep over it, but I do take notice and pay closer attention to the person. Just me. I've been wrong about people before.

And yes, I do like the real ones. 

• Members
2 hours ago, gardo said:

In general I dislike pre-damaged guitars but for some reason love this one .

It's because this one is done tastefully, and is NOT "overdone" like 99% of "relic" jobs. It looks like natural wear vs. an instrument that's been assaulted by a belt sander. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

I'm in the  'let time take its toll' group here. Guitars I have purchased new remain as pristine as I can keep them, barring stupidity, drunkenness and bad luck. Those instances of stupidity, drunkenness and bad luck add up to a chunk of the mojo.

To those who lack the patience to imbue their own mojo into their own instrument, I'm willing to bet they never bond with their instruments on a deep emotional level...they accept artificial mojo, mofaux...

• Like 1

• Members
2 hours ago, gardo said:

In general I dislike pre-damaged guitars but for some reason love this one . It must be the exception that proves the rule

Fender Custom Shop 1961 Relic Telecaster, Aged Olympic ...

I like that look. If I found that all dusty at a yard sale I'd lose my mind. The hardware would give it away. My old beat up Aria Jazzmaster copy has pit marks on the tuners and corrosion on the other small metal parts.

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

I'm in the  'let time take its toll' group here. Guitars I have purchased new remain as pristine as I can keep them, barring stupidity, drunkenness and bad luck. Those instances of stupidity, drunkenness and bad luck add up to a chunk of the mojo.

To those who lack the patience to imbue their own mojo into their own instrument, I'm willing to bet they never bond with their instruments on a deep emotional level...they accept artificial mojo, mofaux...

Well said :)

• Thanks 1

• Members

I kept wondering if Musicians Friend and/or GC would put some of those "road worn" guitars into their "scratch  and dent" sales....

Here's corrosion on my Vox guitar, thanks to Thai beach salt, sea, and humidity. And it's aluminum.VoxHDC77.thumb.jpg.d734385e5ea34be9d7d08cf862c3f47e.jpg

• Members
1 hour ago, Emory said:

I kept wondering if Musicians Friend and/or GC would put some of those "road worn" guitars into their "scratch  and dent" sales....

Here's corrosion on my Vox guitar, thanks to Thai beach salt, sea, and humidity. And it's aluminum.VoxHDC77.thumb.jpg.d734385e5ea34be9d7d08cf862c3f47e.jpg

Great thing about alloy is it can be polished. Mothers aluminum mag polish works good. It also could magnesium? also can be polished with aluminum polish.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, xStonr said:

I thought they charge more for road worn equipment.

sure..they gotta account for all that extra labor to make it look like someone already thrashed it within an inch of playability...:rolleyes2:

and belt sanders ain't cheap!:facepalm:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's as much a personal choice as a paint color.

If you don't like it, dont' buy it.

I don't own a pink guitar, but I don't rant about 'em online, or suggest impugnations about players who do.

I have a parts guitar that has a "relic" body - a very thin, well-done 2-tone sunburst over knotty pine.  It was checked by the builder.  I've played it pretty exclusively for 3 or 4 years, probably about 1000 hours of stage use.  It's more worn than it was.  None of which matters, because it's a fantastic guitar, and would probably even be fantastic if it was pink.

• Thanks 1