Blackmore Is God

macken_nz

• Members

Why do I never tire of his playing?.. Such an inspiration who's value never wanes.

1970-74 producing six albums of quality and legendary playing.. Tone was perfect through those big Marshall Majors and his Ash Strats wielded with such authority. 

'Maybe i'm a Leo' to 'You Fool No One' their several line up changes really gave their audience exciting developments in styles and mood.

Oh and he looked so damn cool and was such a joy to watch perform.. Gushing I know but I think he deserves the praise.

Thanks Ritchie!

• Members
50 minutes ago, Grant Harding said:

Have you ever seen Ritchie and God in the same room? 🤔

Really depends on the color of the mushrooms I ate.

And on a serious note, Blackmore doesn't compare to Bill Nelson.

Edited by badpenguin

• Moderators
14 hours ago, macken_nz said:

I like his arrogant quote from the 'Who Do We Think We Are' sleeve..

"I think I can wipe the floor up with most guitarists" - 1971

in 1971, he may have been able to, except for Hendrix, Beck, Page, Clapton, Duane Allman, Mike Bloomfield, Franke Marino, Robin Trower....😉

16 hours ago, badpenguin said:

16 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Have you ever seen Ritchie and God in the same room? 🤔

Well, I knew it was Ritchie on stage, and the 'shrooms were dark brown... but whether what I saw that night was actually 'god' [or an incredible simulation]? I can't be certain...:D

• Haha 1

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

in 1971, he may have been able to, except for Hendrix, Beck, Page, Clapton, Duane Allman, Mike Bloomfield, Franke Marino, Robin Trower....😉

Well, I knew it was Ritchie on stage, and the 'shrooms were dark brown... but whether what I saw that night was actually 'god' [or an incredible simulation]? I can't be certain...:D

yes so many great players.. so much excitement for a common instrument.. it's a shame contemporary music doesn't have the same strive for technical ability.. it's not a must for great songwriting but it sure can add something.

• Members
22 hours ago, badpenguin said:

And on a serious note, Blackmore doesn't compare to Bill Nelson.

Wow Bill Nelson.. Guessing it's not the former astronaut/politician lol Just found out about him and watched a recent youtube video. Nice stuff! 

Edited by macken_nz

• Members
7 hours ago, macken_nz said:

yes so many great players.. so much excitement for a common instrument.. it's a shame contemporary music doesn't have the same strive for technical ability.. it's not a must for great songwriting but it sure can add something.

Some modern guys have technique:

• Members
12 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Some modern guys have technique:

Yeah he can play competently alright.. but just not my thing. I miss players that had original phrasing.. I don't feel he has that sadly.  

I seem to tune out when there's too many notes and not enough rests.. and when i hear the fast stuff it leaves me cold. I know this guy is loved but i truly think the age of the guitar hero is done. Songs however,\ can be written for eternity.

• Members

I agree that the days of the guitar hero are long gone.

Guthrie is no one-trick pony. That video is just a show off thing. He can play pretty much anything and he has way more "feel" than anyone I've heard. 

Here's how he first got "discovered" by a lot of guitarists. He created a fake readers poll piss-take where he showed that he can play as well as or better than all of the winners that year. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I agree that the days of the guitar hero are long gone.

Guthrie is no one-trick pony. That video is just a show off thing. He can play pretty much anything and he has way more "feel" than anyone I've heard. 

Here's how he first got "discovered" by a lot of guitarists. He created a fake readers poll piss-take where he showed that he can play as well as or better than all of the winners that year. 

I dunno.. he seems like a jack of all trades.. too conventional for me and i think it misses the point. So many guitarists focus on technique at the cost of being real artists.. it's like they can't see the big picture.

Give me Duane Denison any day..

Edited by macken_nz

• Members
5 hours ago, macken_nz said:

Yeah he can play competently alright.. but just not my thing. I miss players that had original phrasing.. I don't feel he has that sadly.  

I seem to tune out when there's too many notes and not enough rests.. and when i hear the fast stuff it leaves me cold. I know this guy is loved but i truly think the age of the guitar hero is done. Songs however,\ can be written for eternity.

LOL Hard Rock?

Here's the "Maestro" all matured and evolved:

Edited by 1001gear

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

Conventional? He's running through a list of classic guitarist styles so yeah I agree!

Duane seems like a nice guy, but his guitar technique is really too artistic (read didn't practice enough) for a thread about guitar gods. 😉

Yeah I realized that. I checked out a few of his other videos too.. he just seems generic to me.

I don't know how being a nice guy is relevant in being a talent..  too artistic?.. didn't practice enough?.. I don't know what to say to there. If it's not your thing that's ok.. Duane while in 'The Jesus Lizard' in the early 90's sure wowed me but we're all different and to be honest I think most people would prefer Guthrie.

Thanks for your input :)

Edited by macken_nz
  • Thanks 1

• Members
1 minute ago, Grant Harding said:

No offense intended. I think I've got a narrow view of what a guitar god is. 😎

None taken. I think it's wonderful everyone has an opinion. Guitar God is just a silly title for the lack of a better term. He hits the wires real good! :)

• Members
11 hours ago, 1001gear said:

I like your stuff more than that over hyped slinger. Way more truth. Needs vocals though. On Pavement, I kept waiting for Roger waters to start singing. 🤠

Aww cheers man.. Definitely needs vocals.. I get lazy sadly. I was waiting for Steven Malkamus to start singing.

Lol over hyped slinger.. And I thought Clapton was boring.. :)

• Members

I got imprinted on Cream so while I never worshipped Clapton, his brand of wank seemed natural and flowing - intergral to the vibe. I prefer Zeppelin to DP too. More heart and soul (maybe not that much soul lol...) that personified heavy rock. Page was da man those first 4 albums. Interestingly, Hendrix didn't do much for me but I can relate a little more nowadays. starting to ramble lol...

• Members
4 hours ago, 1001gear said:

I got imprinted on Cream so while I never worshipped Clapton, his brand of wank seemed natural and flowing - intergral to the vibe. I prefer Zeppelin to DP too. More heart and soul (maybe not that much soul lol...) that personified heavy rock. Page was da man those first 4 albums. Interestingly, Hendrix didn't do much for me but I can relate a little more nowadays. starting to ramble lol...

Ramble On brother.. Stream of consciousness is the most honest of statements.. I love Zeppelin & Purple & Hendrix.. Maybe Zeppelin more than Purple but I don't like to make comparisons as it's tough to compare individual groups.. And yeah those 1st four albums are so good.. Houses of The Holy & Physical Graffiti as well for me too.. Even Presence has it's moments but think a decline was starting by that stage. Thanks for your input man! :)