Yet another sub/amp thread...

• Members

I've purchased a pair of Peavey SP218 subs (1200W RMS at 4 Ohms). My mains are Peavey Impulse 1012 (500W RMS at 8 Ohms). At the moment I'm powering the mains from each side of a QSC PL236 (800W @ 8 Ohms). I also have a QSC RMX-2450.

I'm planning on rewiring things so I can power the subs one per side off the PL236 (1300W @ 4 Ohms) and the mains one per side off the RMX-2450 (500W @ 8 Ohms).

My other option would be to power both mains off one side of the PL236 (giving them 650W each) and both subs off the other side (925W each at 2 Ohms total load).

I'm 99% sure that I'm going with the first option (I'll wire both amps to a Speakon 4-connection terminal so I can use one four-conductor speaker cable to carry main and sub signals to each side), but I thought I'd ask if anyone here had any compelling reasons to do anything differently first. :) Lots of knowledge and experience around here.

Thanks!

• Members

The SP218 has two speakon inputs - one standard (1+/1- feeds both drivers in parallel), and one switching jack that feeds the two drivers individually on 1+/- and 2 +/-. I was going to rewire these, but upon taking off the control plate I discovered that they're mounted on a printed board and not reconfigurable.

So I just took out the board and jacks whole and mounted two new Speakon input jacks on the control plate to the existing holes, wiring the drivers to 2 +/- on each jack in parallel and putting a jumper from 1 +/- on the top jack to the same pins on the bottom jack so that 1 +/- will pass through from one jack to the other. (Pair 2 is also jumpered between the two jacks, so the jacks are fully parallel. That way I don't have to worry about one being a dedicated input and one being an output - each can be either.) The plan is to use 2 +/- to drive the subs and 1 +/- to pass through to the mains. To accomodate this, I have 4-conductor speaker cables and have wired the output jacks on my power amp rack I/O panel to accomodate the mains amp on pair 1 and the subs amp on pair 2. So I can just run one cable from the amp rack to the subs, then a 2-conductor cable from the subs to the mains.

Any reason not to do it that way? I know it isn't the standard where the lows are on 1 and the highs are on 2, but rewiring the mains to work on 2 +/- would have been a lot more difficult since the crossover for the horn and the input jacks are all mounted on another of those printed circuit boards. I've labeled everything clearly to avoid confusion, including the back of the subs and the speakon jacks coming out of the power amp rack.

Archived