Itty Bitty 2 ch power amp?

• Members

I'm a "busking" Bass player... well, more of a OMB than a street performer.

Anyway, there are all kinds of good 'micro' (Class D) instrument amp heads available these days. Is there such a thing as a 'micro' 2 ch power amp?

Do you really need a 2 channel power amp?

The Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and 9.0 are single power amp channel and pretty darn small.

The Shuttle Max 12.0 has a 2 channel power amp, 600 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Small AND light.

• Members

The genz benz amps are really nice, that would be my first choice for small and light. I own 3 ART SLA2's, 2x have been repaired (1 was a blown channel, my fault; the other the amp fell off a bass cab in transport and the linear torridial transformer shifted... right into a circut board and damaged it). Currently both working amps sit in a 4mix 8sp rack unused with no plans to ressurect them. They get real hot too under stress. real hot.

They work, do the job, don't take a lot of physical abuse (1u amps always have issues with the face plate bending under stress), and they are heavy, 19lbs and 16" deep. Hope that helps.

If you need real small and light try the Stewart PA100, 50w pc @ 8ohm and 1/2 rack space.

• Members

Silly me.. I totally forgot to point out I'm looking to put together a compact, portable PA using a small passive mixer thru the 'itty bitty' power amp (and some speakers I've yet to Identify as well).

I'd used the system for vocals, bass (via DI) and stereo backing tracks.

Bottom line: A small PA system that, aside from the speakers, I could throw in a gig/duffle bag.

• Members

How about you forgo the itty-bitty amp and get powered speakers instead?

I've had to consider that as I can't seem to find an 'itty bitty' power amp.

My 1st concern going that route would be the environment. I live on a boat in salt water and by 'putting my eggs in one basket' should anything happen I'd pretty much be SOL. With a 'component' system I could at least replace components individually (I can get passive speakers in the 3rd world much easier/cheaper than powered). 2ndly, I'm hoping by finding an 'itty bitty' PA I can minimize the weight factor.

But you're right, without a 'itty bitty' PA that looks to be my only real approach

• CMS Author

If a component craps, your SOL no matter what, unless you stock spares, which blows the "less space" advantage. And the passive speaker is the least likely failure. In a watery environment, you're much better off with a self-contained speaker....fewer outside mechanical cable/plug/jack connections to corrode.

• Members

One rack unit is as mini as you'll find. Like this one from ART.

Crest,
Stewart
and others make them as well depending on your budget.

Winston

If by that you mean Stewart Audio, they are across the parking lot from my plumbing company. Heard rumblings that they might be closing, but I haven't gone over and asked so I can't confirm. But his amps are great.

• Members

Doesn't someone make an "itty bitty" powered mixer? Seems like it would be a slam dunk product.

Yorkville made a great little powered mixer called the M8 http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=71&cat=55&id=130. I gigged with that and two NX88's for a year or so - whenever I did a single. I also used the M8 to do small pub and party gigs with a quartet.

I even used the M8 with two elite EX401's as horn monitors for four horn players. The FOH guy laughed when he saw the mixer, then said wow when he heard how loud it was, at least in relationship to it's size. The M8 has been discontinued but you can still find them used - only drawback, no reverb.

• Members

There's a seller on eBay called Sure Electronics that sells pre-built amplifier modules that use Tripath Class-T (really, class D + marketing) amplifier ICs. They used to be rather limited in power, though 15W/channel and efficient speakers can be surprisingly loud. Recently they released 2 and 4 channel 100W/ch amplifiers that have gotten good reviews (though it's more like 60-70 before heavy distortion kicks in).

You'll need a power supply and probably a case and connectors depending on how you want to do it. Any of the 24-36V ones they sell should work fine, but ask them if you want to be sure (they're responsive). The amp + power supply + shipping should be a bit over $100 total. Don't worry about their Hong Kong location, it's a reliable and well-run business.

2x100W

4x100W

A Suitable Power Supply

Here's a review of the 2x100W and a thread about the 4x100W. DIYaudio forums have lots of info on them.

Hope that helps. I only have experience with the 2x10W boards, but I love 'em - super efficient and sound great.

-Jack

• Members

MCM makes some cheap plate amps that i have been playing with and having good results Why do you need 2 chanel? most passive resitance mixers are mono. They make one thats a 200 to 300 watts @ 4 ohms with 2 or 3 inputs and I built one into a old road case and it fits 2 hot spot monitors and cables in a case abut 2x the size of a breifcase. I use it for small break out rooms, but i used it a couple times for a guitar/singer solo in a couple of living toom parties

Archived