Recommend 24-32 channel "live" mixer

• Members

Well a few years back when my band was purchasing a 24 channel mixer, we narrowed down the choices to the A&H GL2400-24 or the Soundcraft LX7ii or their earlier versions if the price was right. Ended up getting the GL2400-24 and are VERY happy with that. It cost a little more than the LX7 but has a few more features plus many seperate circuit boards vice just one or two for better (assumed) reliability. However, our budget was half your's, $2000-$2500.

Boomerweps

• Members

Well a few years back when my band was purchasing a 24 channel mixer, we narrowed down the choices to the A&H GL2400-24 or the Soundcraft LX7ii or their earlier versions if the price was right. Ended up getting the GL2400-24 and are VERY happy with that. It cost a little more than the LX7 but has a few more features plus many seperate circuit boards vice just one or two for better (assumed) reliability. However, our budget was half your's, $2000-$2500.

Boomerweps

+1, the jump up to a $5000 budget is a big one from the range of mixers boomerweps suggested. If you start pushing that high you might be able to look used into some used professional level boards.

• Members

You can't go wrong with GL2400-24.

I would tend to agree, but if if the OP really is looking to spend 5k on a mixer, there are some very nice solutions in the used or new market for that much money that would be preferable. After all, in the initial post he mentions looks for something considered a "standard" like the mix wiz (a $1000 unit) with more channels. The GL2400 may be that item, but the closer you get to the 5k mark, the less of a "standard" you're probably going to find.

• Members

For quality and reliability the GL2400 is a great board. I owned it briefly and loved it but my beef only with it is that it's a BIG & heavy board! It requires two guys to haul that thing around. Also, for that price range I would eliminate all my external effects and processors by getting a digital board. I'm considering jumping onto the Presonus Studio Live band wagon. :eek:

Edit: I take that back. I would get TWO StudioLive mixers

• Members

I should clarify. I'm not looking to spend $5k necessarily, but I'm flexible to a degree. I'm primarily looking for the next step up from my current MixWiz. I may start looking into the MixWiz 12m, and using that mixer along with my MixWiz 16;2. I also have a Soundcraft EFX-8 which I can use as a sub-mixer if need be.

I know nothing about sub-groups at this point, and I suppose this would be a great convenience feature to have when considering these larger boards.

Bob

• Members

Have you considered renting/cross renting for the gigs where you might need more channels?

You would have to rent the board out 33 times a year over three years (at $50 or 1%) to pay for the board - not counting insurance.

All in all you've got a pretty nice system, with all the components matching up pretty well (subs might be a little light). I'd spend my time looking for a trustworthy young guy or gal who can run/babysit your system at a reasonable price. Then spend the $5K on another 'corporate/B' system and run that one (or the other) yourself - if the gigs were coming in fast and furious.

OR, have you thought about looking at lights - gasp!. AFAIK the ROI on a value added item like lights is quite high - just a thought.

• Members

The Allen & Heath GL2400 is for the most part a mixwizard in a larger case the elctronics are almost identical but it has a few more bells and whistles if you are happy with the sound of the mixwizard and want more channels it's the way to go if you want a step up in performance the GL3300 would be the next logical step but from what you have said in your posts I think the GL2400 iw what you want if you need more auxes as well the GL2800 is the monitor version of the GL2400 and has either 8 or 10 auxes I don't remember exactly off hand

• Members

For quality and reliability the GL2400 is a great board. I owned it briefly and loved it but my beef only with it is that it's a BIG & heavy board! It requires two guys to haul that thing around. Also, for that price range I would eliminate all my external effects and processors by getting a digital board. I'm considering jumping onto the Presonus Studio Live band wagon.
:eek:

Edit: I take that back. I would get TWO StudioLive mixers

I used an older GL2200 a few summer's ago and I instantly fell in love with it. It's an amazing sounding console.

But, I currently bought a Presonus Studiolive and I cannot be happier.

Either console is a good piece.

• Members

The Allen & Heath GL2400 is for the most part a mixwizard in a larger case the elctronics are almost identical but it has a few more bells and whistles if you are happy with the sound of the mixwizard and want more channels it's the way to go if you want a step up in performance the GL3300 would be the next logical step but from what you have said in your posts I think the GL2400 iw what you want if you need more auxes as well the GL2800 is the monitor version of the GL2400 and has either 8 or 10 auxes I don't remember exactly off hand

man, you're really going to have to start punctuating your posts if anyone's going to keep reading 'em.

kinda tough to decipher a huge run-on sentence.

• Members

I'm real close to the same situation. I've used a Peavey 24FX for about 4 years, and the thing has served me well, but its definitely time to upgrade. With 5k as a budget you have a lot of options. I think you should decide whether you wan to stay analog or go digital at this point. A pair of studiolives would be a nice move. I recently had the chance to spend a few hours behind one and by the end of the night had it down. It was very impressive. With 5k you could probably do better. God I wish I could justify that amount and not end up in divorce court....LOL

• CMS Author

What a difference punctuation makes......

The Allen & Heath GL2400 is for the most part a Mixwizard in a larger case. The electronics are almost identical, but it has a few more bells and whistles. If you are happy with the sound of the Mixwizard and want more channels it's the way to go. If you want a step up in performance, the GL3300 would be the next logical step. From what you have said in your posts, I think the GL2400 is what you want. If you need more auxes the GL2800 is the monitor version of the GL2400, and has either 8 or 10 auxes; I don't remember exactly off hand.

• Members

Have you considered renting/cross renting for the gigs where you might need more channels?

You would have to rent the board out 33 times a year over three years (at $50 or 1%) to pay for the board - not counting insurance.

All in all you've got a pretty nice system, with all the components matching up pretty well (subs might be a little light). I'd spend my time looking for a trustworthy young guy or gal who can run/babysit your system at a reasonable price. Then spend the $5K on another 'corporate/B' system and run that one (or the other) yourself - if the gigs were coming in fast and furious.

OR, have you thought about looking at lights - gasp!. AFAIK the ROI on a value added item like lights is quite high - just a thought.

Shaster,

Things are indeed coming together nicely (so far). My next planned step in evolving my gear, is the acquisition of a larger/more powerful pair of subs. I'm still undecided as to which subs I'll choose, but it's looking like the Yorkville UCS1p might be the way to go. If that happens, then it'll be a pair of U15p's (next year). I'm also scheduled to audition a pair of Danley TH-115's, sometime in late January. (as soon as dealer has them in stock).

A large capacity mixer, is simply part of the long term evolution of my rig. I've got plenty of time to think about it, and for now, I'm simply looking for a bit of direction. Digital, may be an option.

Lighting; Well, I have none at the moment, so that's a consideration as well. End of January is my usual gear acquisition period, so I have six weeks to think about it. To complicate things a bit further, I'm also looking at expanding my recording set-up. Currently, that consists of an Apogee Duet, Logic Studio, a 4 gb iMac w/external HDD (625gb), and a few mics.

Bob

• Members

If your looking for the next logical step i think the GL2400 series would be ideal. It will have the same feel and sound as the mixwiz but with more channels options and subgroups. The groups will allow you to sub mix ...say all your drums to group 1 and instruments to 2 and back up vocals to 3 and vocals to 4. This will give you an easier way to take a group of faders down at once. it also gives you the benifit of inserting a comp on a group channels rather than individual ones.

If your looking for the best sounding mixer that does that and price is not the issue...id look at the midas venice which is pretty much the same feature set but sounds a bit better.

Archived