Sennheiser drum mics

• Members

I'm thinking of buying the sennheiser 900 series drum mics to be more specific the 902 kick drum mic the 904 tom mic and the 905 snare mic has anyone tried these mics and if so what was the general opinion of them

most of the sound companies we work with use the 604 on toms and snares but I don't really like the sound and I find the audix d series to be less than roadworthy as almost everyone I know who uses them the tom mics are broken or their clips are broken they just don't seem to hold up well for live applications and other than the 57 and the beta 57 sure is just not one of my favorites

• Members

> what was the general opinion of them

They're excellent. Smooth, wide response across the entire 900 range. Rugged and dependable.

604 on toms and snares but I don't really like the sound

The 904's sound exactly the same as the 604's... but I've never heard anyone say they don't like the sound of the 604's. They're a standard.

I find the audix d series to be less than roadworthy

what? how the heck are these guys breaking D-series mics?

• Members

I tripped over my brain trying to read your giant run on sentence. :poke:

Sennheiser microphones are among some of the best of the best mics out there. I used to love my 421's. I used them on kick and all the toms. Awesome sound, though a bit obtrusive at times.

• Members

most of them don't have the top of the screen on them any more ore buzz horribly on every strike of the drum they are mounted on and changing the cable doesn't help it has been my personal experience that audix mics in general though sounding pretty good don't hold up for road use even the vocal mics I have encountered far more broken audix mics than any other brand of mics and I have been in the buisness over 20 years I would never spend a dime on an audix product knowing there are mics that are just as good or better sounding simply for durability reasons

• Members

I have been in the buisness over 20 years I would never spend a dime on an audix product knowing there are mics that are just as good or better sounding simply for durability reasons

I find this ridiculous. In my experience, and in the experience of many industry professionals, audix mics are just as durable as any other in the business. How these mics are getting broken is beyond me.

• Members

most of them don't have the top of the screen on them any more ore buzz horribly on every strike of the drum they are mounted on and changing the cable doesn't help it has been my personal experience that audix mics in general though sounding pretty good don't hold up for road use even the vocal mics I have encountered far more broken audix mics than any other brand of mics and I have been in the buisness over 20 years I would never spend a dime on an audix product knowing there are mics that are just as good or better sounding simply for durability reasons

Maybe the {censored}ty drummers oughta stop hitting the mics.

Sennheiser microphones are among some of the best of the best mics out there. I used to love my 421's. I used them on kick and all the toms. Awesome sound, though a bit obtrusive at times.

"Obtrusive" is a rather kind way of putting it, isn't it? Kinda like saying that its clip is "touchy" or "sensitive." :p They do sound good, though.

-Dan.

• Members

I have to agree with Mogwix. I just bought some Audix drum mics (D2 and D4 along with an i5) and I love the sound. I also bought a pair of EV N/D468 mics (following a recommendation for a good tom mic) and I still give the nod to the Audix. Don't get me wrong, the EV don't sound bad, just not as "pre-EQ'd" as the Audix, instead more of a natural sound. Not sure on the Sennheisers, never tried them. Guitar Center never heard of them!

As far as the durability, I'm honestly not quite sure how you could break them easier than anything else...as they seem very durable compared to an SM57. now the Ev's...that's another story...

FYI: Completely unrelated to this post, the Audix D6 sounds amazing. I've never tried another kick mic, but I'm very impressed with the D6. Just applied a slight cut to the mids and it was perfect.

• Members

I find this ridiculous. In my experience, and in the experience of many industry professionals, audix mics are just as durable as any other in the business. How these mics are getting broken is beyond me.

I second this. We use Audix overheads, instrument, kick and tom microphones and they all hold up very well. I have heard about the tom mic clips doing strange things but the microphones themselves are great.

• Members

I have a half-dozen of the 604's and I really like them. Don't miss the 421's one bit. The rim mounts are very good too.

I have not had any problems or issues with Audix mics either. Somebody is doing some stupid things out there to have that many failures. Not my favorite mic for a lot of applications, but absolutely nothing wrong with them either.

• Members

I use a e902 on kick at one venue I do shows at. Sounds very good with little work involved. I haven't really played enough to know if I would grab it over something else in my bag but it definitely sounds good.

I had an operator I assisted last week who had an old EV mic (ND series I think) that was a kick mic. We put it on upright bass but he had me lightly thump it to check (I always prefer scratching because I hate thumping mics) and I gotta say it sounded pretty awesome. I'd love to hear that in an actual kick drum because it was enough to make me jump back and think, this was right after the exact same test on a Beta 52a.

• Members

My church uses the 902, a 904 and i think its a 905, on the floor tom.

They are great. I havent played with the system enough to identify exactly which part is key to the sound, but its just a basic PA, with these Sennheiser mics. The guy who set it up definitely thinks the Sennheiser mics are the key.

• Members

when I started this thread I didn't set out to trash audix mics. I'm sure the broken mics I have encountered have been dropped and abused but, still under the same circumstances I don't see many broken sennheiser or sure mics other than the 57 which is infamous for having broken or loose caps. I agree audix mics sound very good but I still question their durability.

The sennheiser 604s are the standard at least they seem to be the most popular mics with the sound companies I work with and they sound pretty good but, I am looking for a richer tone. I don't know that I am explaining it correctly I myself am not a soundguy though I do mix my bands in-ear monitors.

I am a fan of sennheiser mics and really just want to know if the 900 series drum mics sound better than the 600 series. I have only heard the 602 placed with the head just inside the sound hole in the front head of the kick drum and found it lacking attack and sounding very muddy I would like to hear it placed inside the drum closer to the beater but I leave mic placement to the sound guy and I only know one guy who uses that mic and he is one of those guys who does things his way and there is no compromise. Most of the soundguys we work with either use the D6 or the Beta52. I love the sound of the D6 and it is the only audix mic I haven't seen broken. i'm not a big fan of the Beta52.

• Members

Didn't figure you were trashing them. I have actually found the opposite. I see more busted up Shure than Audix. I rarely see any Audix that is broken, minus those old D clips of course. The worst I see is dented up screens. Strange!

As fas as your original question, I can't comment on the particular kick mic you are looking at but I can tell you that you wouldn't be unhappy at all with a D6 on the kick. What didn't you like about the 604 on the toms?

• Members

I am a fan of sennheiser mics and really just want to know if the 900 series drum mics sound better than the 600 series.

they sound exactly the same.

If the sound is lacking to your ears, remember that each channel has an EQ strip on it!

• Members

when I started this thread I didn't set out to trash audix mics. I'm sure the broken mics I have encountered have been dropped and abused but, still under the same circumstances I don't see many broken sennheiser or sure mics other than the 57 which is infamous for having broken or loose caps. I agree audix mics sound very good but I still question their durability.

The sennheiser 604s are the standard at least they seem to be the most popular mics with the sound companies I work with and they sound pretty good but, I am looking for a richer tone. I don't know that I am explaining it correctly I myself am not a soundguy though I do mix my bands in-ear monitors.

I am a fan of sennheiser mics and really just want to know if the 900 series drum mics sound better than the 600 series. I have only heard the 602 placed with the head just inside the sound hole in the front head of the kick drum and found it lacking attack and sounding very muddy I would like to hear it placed inside the drum closer to the beater but I leave mic placement to the sound guy and I only know one guy who uses that mic and he is one of those guys who does things his way and there is no compromise. Most of the soundguys we work with either use the D6 or the Beta52. I love the sound of the D6 and it is the only audix mic I haven't seen broken. i'm not a big fan of the Beta52.

I did alot of research on this topic before buying my tom mics. I personally never got to test the 600 series or 900 series, but I read that they are almost identical in sound (and sound great), except that the 600 series (i believe the 604 in particular) had a harsher sounding 5k range. According to the post I read, the 904 seemed to "smooth" it out alot more.

Again, don't quote me on this as I did not hear it firsthand. Maybe someone else could chime in?

FYI, I didn't get the e904s only because I found a brand new DP4a Audix package (2xD2, 1xD4, 1xi5) for $200 (reg. ~$500).

• Members

they sound exactly the same.

If the sound is lacking to your ears, remember that each channel has an EQ strip on it!

I've heard from some users that the 900 series do not pick up as much cymbal wash as the 600's. That's one of the things I thought about the 604's when I used 'em. I thought they sounded GREAT but they just seemed to pick up a bit too much cymbal wash.

• Members

I've heard from some users that the 900 series do not pick up as much cymbal wash as the 600's. That's one of the things I thought about the 604's when I used 'em. I thought they sounded GREAT but they just seemed to pick up a bit too much cymbal wash.

I haven't noticed any difference in sound between them, maybe the 900's have a little better off-axis rejection and a little smoother response. Other than the smaller profile and metal housing, to me they're identical.

Archived