My amp is back from the shop...

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

I have some electronics skills, but decided this time I was better taking my amp to a pro. I'm glad I did. I believe I started a thread about it about a year or two ago. The amp in question was a Mesa Studio .22 caliber, a non-EQ model  in ugly-ass dirty cream tolex. These amps have a known design issue because they use a 2 watt resistor for some kind of voltage step-down, and the resistor runs hot, so that given enough time it starts to cook & char the printed circuit board itself.  I called Mesa and they were friendly, aware of the issue, and assured me "their guy" (the local Mesa Authorized tech for Dallas) would be able to fix my amp. 

Dropped my amp off at his shop near downtown in January I had to call the guy about a month later and ask where my amp was, but he was cool about it, and said he'd fix my amp and get it to the next week, and he did. Costs for his services was around two-hundred fifty ( I bought the amp for $400), but it works and sounds better than it did when I bought it. Very pleased I spent the money, it was well worth it. 

• Like 1

• Members
On 6/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, daddymack said:

Congrats...but $250 [and months] to replace a resistor? :rolleyes2:

More work was done than that...the midrange control was allegedly open and was replaced, as were several of the preamp tubes. It was in the dude's shop about six weeks, I wasn't in a hurry to get it back. Once I touched base with him again, he got my amp fixed within the week.  Waaay back when, I posted pictures of the charred PCB, but I can't find my old post.