Recording Martin D-18

• Members

I recently bought the Martin D-18. Great guitar, but I have problems recording it in a dense mix. It has a withdrawn midrange, quite large bass. I've tried different mono / stereo microphone setups and the effects are not satisfactory. Most of the time I need an acoustic guitar to complement the mix. The music is country-rock-pop so it's typical chord playing. In my opinion, the D-18 is cool if you record music with less arrangement of instruments in the mix, so I have a question for you:

I would like to buy another acoustic guitar, but only for recording, one that has a very clear midrange and treble, with a withdrawn bass, which will break through in the mix. I would like to find a guitar like this with a preamp for up to £ 400.  Can you ask for your opinions and suggestions on which models to pay attention to?

Best Regards,Kris

• Members

The Martin D 18 is a very fine guitar.

It does have a lot of bass end and cut mids, as is the characteristic of a Dreadnaught.

I don't know how you mic-ed the guitar or what mics you have used, but adjust the mics and properly, eq as needed.

Back off on the sound hole, like this.

Jerry-McPherson-2@1400x1050.jpg

• Members
On 5/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, daddymack said:

Kris, from what you are asking...have you tried 'Nashville tuning'? It will cost you a lot less than £ 400...:wave:

I’ve tried Nashville tuning. It may give the desired result for recording but makes the guitar rather useless for anything else.  
I would recommend using a less expensive guitar if you’re going this route 

• Moderators

£ 400

31 minutes ago, gardo said:

I’ve tried Nashville tuning. It may give the desired result for recording but makes the guitar rather useless for anything else.  
I would recommend using a less expensive guitar if you’re going this route 

It depends on how frequently he records. I used to [when I only had one acoustic] record all the regular guitar parts, and then restring, do the N-T parts, and then restring again...a set of 12strings costs ~$12 [you can buy a lot of 12 string sets for $565/£400]. Because the guitar was restrung just for 'cowboy chords', for the most part,  I didn't bother adjusting the truss, etc. For me it was a simple and inexpensive solution that really didn't cost much in $, time or labor.

If the OP wants to get a second guitar to keep in N-T, that is his decision. I always felt, similar to your comment, that a guitar dedicated to N-T was a one trick pony of little value except recording.

• Members
11 hours ago, daddymack said:

well...the OP has been back....and not commented on any of our suggestions....so fine, buy a Yamaha or a Harley Benton...

That was going to be my next suggestion after a simple and normal EQ treatment. Buy a new guitar. 😀

• Members

If changing your recording/micing setup doesn't improve things, find a smaller guitar in your price range, a Yamaha, Alvarez, Takamine, or other reputable brand. The X Series Martins can be found fairly cheap used.

• Like 1