cab wiring questions

Hoot Owl

• Members

Here's what I have: One 2x12 with two 16-ohm speakers, wired parallel for 8 ohms. Two 1x12's, each with 16 ohm speakers.

How do I hook these up for 16 ohms out at the amp? 8 ohms total out would be a second choice.

The two 1x12's I'd like to link together via plug-in cable, so there is just one cable coming to them from the amp. This would require one cab to have an In-Out jack plate that I'm not familiar with. Do they exist?

Amp has two speaker outs and 4-8-16 ohm selector. To get to 16 ohms out at the amp (since the 2x12 is 8 ohms), the total of the 1x12's would also have to be 8 (so, wired parallel), then the 2x12 and 1x12 combination would have to be series. Is that possible? How do you cable in series? Can you? Or, any better ideas?

I want the whole setup to be like a 16 ohm 4x12. The reason is, recently I heard a amp company rep (I want to say Dr. Z himself, but don't quote me on that) say it was best to use the highest ohm tap of your transformer, so you're using the whole transformer - not sure what that means exactly, but I figured, hey, if I'm doing this I might as well do it per that. I think it's because transformers using all the windings at full ohms while progressively less for less ohms.

I got this off the Celestion site, not that it answers my question:

There are two ways you can wire a 4×12 (or 4×10 for that matter), the main one is Series/Parallel: 4 X 8 Ohm Speaker = 8 Ohm Load; 4 X 16 Ohm Speaker = 16 Ohm Load

39_gallery_3-300x241.jpg

Let me simplify: One 8 ohm 2x12 AND two 16 ohm 1x12's, all coming out of two jacks on the amp - one to the 2x12, one to the 1x12's - with amp set for 16 ohms.

Edited by Hoot Owl

• 2 weeks later...