Synergy amps and modules

Hoot Owl

• Members

I just found out about these, though I believe they've been around for about three years (and they are an improved version of the older Randall and Egnater module idea - the are all compatible). They produce two amp heads and a stereo rack power amp. Both forms are intended to be used with their main deal - removable preamp modules designed and authorized by several high-end amp companies, like Bogner, Friedman, etc. Every YouTube I've watched about them spews rave reviews. In a limited amount of space you can have the equivalent of several-to-numerous high end preamp sounds running through one power amp. You can also run them into your own amp's loop return, using your amps power section. But I did read somewhere that the Synergy amps are designed to automatically adjust biasing depending on which module is being run. I don't think that's critical, though, since good results seem to come from running through any amp's power section. They currently have ten preamp modules available, each with two channels, so theoretically you could have one amp and a rack of nine or ten modules with up to twenty channels, ranging from Fender to Diezel, with many steps in between. Just think about how much space you'd save, not to mention the fun you'd have. It can add up to a lot of money, though - this is quality gear assembled in SoCal. Still, it would be a lot cheaper than buying ten individual amps. A single Kemper could do similar but then you have menus - junk that I don't like. These things have simple in-your-face knobs, the way I like it, with real tubes.

I'm planning on changes to my stable and this is one of the things I've been looking into - along with the fairly new Marshall SV20H Plexi and Dr. Z Maz 18 Mark II. Currently I have a Fender Princeton 12" combo, Bedrock 50-watt head, Benson Monarch, Mesa Lonestar, Yamaha THR10, Vox AC10. All but the Yamaha and Bedrock are on the way out. They all rock in their own way but it's just time for changes. Pretty sure I'll be adding a Fryette Power Station too for playing at any volume.

Home - synergyamps.com

Check out this guys rack scenario at 29:00.

Edited by Hoot Owl

• Members

Sounds good.

I haven't been play a lot of electric guitar in the past year, mostly acoustic guitar.

I don't really ho out much, but I did some 10 years ago. I got am older Maz 18  1-12 combo with reverb and  the eq bypass mod, that came with the amp.

The new Maz I guess has a smoother master volume and more reverb. I wouldn't bother sending my in or doing the mods.

• Members
On 4/27/2021 at 7:36 AM, daddymack said:

The idea has [as noted] been done before. The Synergy 'pre-amp' modules are $400 each...which ain't bad to get an Engl, Friedman, Plexi or an Uberschall...sort of...

"Sort of" is the key. The ones I've heard, however, have been very close to the real thing. Simulation pedals never did it for me. These modules are in between pedals and the true amp, but I think closer to the amp itself, maybe very close to.

Those four modules, for $400 each, plus two rack-mounts for $800 each, a rack mounting box for $200, that's $3,400.

Those four amps, I don't know, $13,000? Is it really worth spending all that money and taking up all that space?

Everyone has to move some day too.

• Members
On 4/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, Mikeo said:

Sounds good.

I haven't been play a lot of electric guitar in the past year, mostly acoustic guitar.

I don't really ho out much, but I did some 10 years ago. I got am older Maz 18  1-12 combo with reverb and  the eq bypass mod, that came with the amp.

The new Maz I guess has a smoother master volume and more reverb. I wouldn't bother sending my in or doing the mods.

The new ones are the tits. They use mil-spec tubes, too. I think they're supposed to last something like three times longer.

Sell yours and get a new one.:idea: They aren't cheap, though. That kind of put me off, but hey, they are hand wired and from a good company.

Edited by Hoot Owl

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Hoot Owl said:

"Sort of" is the key. The ones I've heard, however, have been very close to the real thing. Simulation pedals never did it for me. These modules are in between pedals and the true amp, but I think closer to the amp itself, maybe very close to.

Those four modules, for $400 each, plus two rack-mounts for $800 each, a rack mounting box for $200, that's $3,400.

Those four amps, I don't know, $13,000? Is it really worth spending all that money and taking up all that space?

Everyone has to move some day too.

To me, the real question is, in an a/b blind test, are they really 'correct'?

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

To me, the real question is, in an a/b blind test, are they really 'correct'?

Yeah but, what does "correct" mean? 100% correct may not be possible, since it would be running through a different power section. But the modules are adjusted for that in their design process, so I don't know. All I know is that the comparisons I've seen are pretty darned close. I doubt anyone would tell the difference unless you're sitting there A-B them. Consider too that all amps coming out of a company can vary in consistency. Marshalls are notorious for that - at least the older ones were.

The main point is, you get very nearly the same tone for a lot less money - as compared to buying several very expensive amps. There's the space issue too. They definitely have significant use for some people.